Expansion Vessel:PRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently bought a house, but have not moved in yet.
We had the Expansion vessel replaced, but not the PRV, because the pressure was changing rapidly. Now, 6 months later, we are loosing water from the PRV. Over the summer, we would turn on the boiler to heat water for an hour, twice a week. As such we are confident that, with a cold system, the pressure in the system is 1.5 bar. Since then, we have noticed that we are loosing water via the Tundish (sometimes it splashes onto the airing cupboard floor).
The questions:
1. Should we have had the PRV replaced at the same time as the Expansion Vessel?
2. is 1.5bar the correct pressure for topping up the system with a cold system? I have read that the correct figure is 0.5 bar plus the head, so this would be 1 bar.
3. Could the PRV have some deposit or dirt that allows it to leak? Is it safe to operate the valve manually, or will it never be the same if I do it?
4. Will the leak eventually stop when enough water has been expelled?

Sponsored Links
Do you have one of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nnpwyDpExM

The air bubble may need replacing.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I will watch the video tonight, but the Megaflow is quite new, having been replaced (we were told) a couple of years ago. I know that that does not actually mean anything....
We have got a new combination valve that we will have fitted soon. I doubt that it had ever been maintained/cleaned. I am unwilling to remove the filter bowl incase I cannot get it to seal again.

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back