Expensive IEC home cinema leads...just a kettle lead or what

Sponsored Links
As a retired sound engineer I would suggest that the only way to see any real improvement would be to balance all low level audio and use XLR connectors. Whether the improvement would be enough to warrant the cost of all the transformers and connectors and quad balanced cable I very much doubt. The economical thing is to ensure that the loudspeaker cables are heavy enough for the job, 100watts into 4 ohms is 5 amps, I have found that 1mm2 2 core mains cable is fine and the fact that it is twisted helps reduce interference. To illustrate the advantage of twisted cores I once ran a 0dbm (0.775vrms into 600 ohms)balanced audio signal 3/4 of a kilometre in unscreened twisted cable through city centre ducting and there was absolutely no interference.

A nice Tempest shielded cabinet would look really cool in the living room. And what a fine conversation piece..

Ah, now that takes me back - I was part of the design team for some Tempest shielded group-3 fax machines for Clansman many years ago.

That wooden knowb looks like it could really improve the quality of my sound..must rush out and get one....or get me holesaws out and make one :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You'll need all this stuff then too, mate... (shamelessly cut and paste, without credit to the author, from my usual forum)

Obviously anyone that thinks the Intelligent Chip is a complete scam with absolutely no chance whatsoever of improving sound quality is just a narrow minded sceptic.

True audiophiles know that exposing their CD to high intensity light modifies them in a way that makes them sound more natural. Their prayers were answered when this device came on the market.

Perhaps you have a problem with your CDs, DVDs becoming magnetised ? No, neither do I, but some people apparently require a degausser to remove residual magnetism from their plastic and aluminium music storage.

Obviously no true audiophile would be seen dead without a pair of ultra tweeters connected to their system. Whilst normal tweeters tend to run out of puff at around 20kHz (above the hearing range of most adults), these ultra-tweeters manage to produce frequencies of up to 1GHz. Microwave radiation from your tweeters can only help to improve sound quality right?

A great hi-fi system deserves to be played in a great sounding room, and what better way to improve the sonic qualities of your abode than to install a small plank of wood. At just $240 you can afford to place dozens of these into your listening room.

I don't know about you, but I really miss the old valve sound. There's nothing like a bit of even harmonic distortion to colour the sound. Well, now you can create the same distorted sound from your solid state hifi equipment simply by coating the semiconductors in this special lacquer. The manufactures say it's no longer available, they must have been overwhelmed by demand.

Even after installing your expensive bits of wood into your listening room, you may be disturbed by chaotic reflections from the walls and said bits of timber. Fear not, for under $1000 you can buy the Hallograph, which defies our current understanding of physics.

Of course only the truly naive would attempt to qualify the performance of their $9000 speaker cables before properly breaking them in. For just $689 you can buy the Audioharmer CABLE COOKER (tm) to rapidly and fully break your cables in. This is superior to traditional techniques since the cabling is exposed to extreme signal levels and a special waveform that does not occur in normal system operation.

After the break in operation you'll be keen to plug your speaker cables into your system and give them a whirl. But wait, you aren't going to just lay those cables on the floor are you? Don't you realise how sonically damaging the effects or your carpet and floorboards are??? Never fear, you can buy Cable Elevators to lift your cables off the floor giving tremendous increases in clarity, tonal accuracy, and dynamics.

I am LITERALLY wetting myself ere! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I particularly like the idea of a sonic plank of wood at only $240.....that coupled with the cable elevators would indeed make my system sound almost like i was in touching distance of the said artiste i was listening to!!

Ive seen cable elevators available from most local diy stores, the come in little boxes of say, 50 or 100 and come in various colours such as midnight black, purest white and cobalt grey.

They come supplied with their own sturdy small nail and are rather attractively "U" shaped.

Made from the finest plastic known to man, they will ensure that your cables can be placed almost anywhere, raising your sound enjoyment to new heights (well, just above the skirting board ;) )

They are available to buy in a whole range of sizes ranging from 1mm up to 25mm.

Hurry now while stocks last or be sorry you missed out! :LOL:

Here's a tip for those of you with vinyl systems - the big boys try to keep it quiet as it's a DIY one, not something they sell, but it's truly incredible.

What you do is to make small loops of BluTak and place them over your pickup arm, hanging down underneath it, at the resonant points. They damp the oscillations of the arm tube and the effect on the soundstage, separation, bass response, mid-range presence and clarity in the high frequencies will amaze you.

Is that blu-tack available in its purest form? or can i get some that has had its chemical structure altered to enchance its true audio qualities - ya know the stuff, thats been cryogenically treated and has passed all bostik approved standards?

Oh yes - sorry - I forgot one important step, thank heavens you reminded me.

The BluTak must first be ingested and then excreted by a civet.

You clearly also forget the very important process of extraction of said blu tack and the kneading of it into easy to use sized balls by tibetan monks.

How could you forget! thats surely the most important step! shame on you!
I know. :oops: :oops:

To think how close some people might have come to suspending loops of BluTak from their pickup arms and not hearing any difference - it would have been awful.

You clearly also forget the very important process of extraction of said blu tack and the kneading of it into easy to use sized balls by tibetan monks.
Ah - that's the old-school system. Recent research has shown that you get much better results if it's rolled on the thighs of Filipina virgins.

There was this audio-phile showing his audio equipment off to an admiring group of audio-philes when the little 9 year old daughter of one of the group pointed to the rack of LP's where there was just one solitary LP.

""Is that the only record you have ?""

Well yes it is because I can't afford to buy any more...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back