Experts on bonding please help........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I am confused now and am looking for a consensus. If anyone can clarify I will buy them a pint if I ever meet them. I have had differing advice re the following:

I am installing a shower with 10mm T+CPC. Please confirm if the bonding described below is correct:
Use 4mm csa cable to bond:
A. Hot & cold water pipes and radiator
B. Pull switch for shower to pull switch for light
C. Earth terminal inside shower to shower cold feed pipe.
D. (A) to (B) above.

I am particularly interested if C is required as this link is shown in the On-Site Guide but I have been told it’s not required. If it is required, Is there room to attach a 4mm earth bond to the cpc of a 10 mil cable at the shower connector block?

Also, the best method to accomplish (D).
A SELV fan powered from the light would not required additional bonding would it?

Thank you :confused:

Sponsored Links
You don't need to do (D). The CPC of the shower cable is the link between the pipes and the pull switches.

There will be room inside the shower connector block as the CPC of 10mm² t&e is only 4mm² and the terminal blocks are generally sized for 16mm² conductors.

SELV fans do not require bonding.

You need to do (D), but this can be acheived in several ways, one of which is (C). What you will find is that you will struggle to get an earth clamp into a shower although you could sweat it directly to the pipe.

Why did you not continue this in your previous thread??

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments.

I did not continue in the earlier thread as people tend not to go back to old threads and it contained differing info which I wanted to summarise for fresh comments.

Going back to what you and Andy said Noz, Presumably I can connect the bond to the terminal block along with the cpc, then run it out of the back of the shower and connect to the pipe further away from the shower? In this instance the pipe is entering the shower through a stud wall. I would be able to attach the bond clamp there except that, as has been stated, it needs to be accessable. Is it OK to attach the clamp a couple of metres down stream on the pipe? If not, is sweating (soldering) to the pipe a real option??? Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back