expired cement left in garage - throw away?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

quick question, i have approx 25-30 bags of unopen 25kg blue circle cement in my garage (not plastic packaging the paper ones) was to be used to make mortar for garden tiles. The project was put on hold due to bad weather after summer 2012 and not to continue until springs/summer again.

My garage is dry however the cement expire date has passed in Nov 2012, is this still any good or should i just throw it all away?

They are stacked up top of each other approx 4-5 bags along the wall, its solid to touch however when i took a few to the car boot to throw away at a recyclel centre, it became powdery again so put them back (thought moisture got in and solidified them.

Just dont want to use this and find it cracks/loss majority of cement strength.

Please advise :)

Sponsored Links
if it is "free of lumps that cannot easily be broken in the fingers" then it is OK to use.

i wouldnt know unless i open them all up of which by then moisture has a greater than of spoiling it.....if not already spoiled lol

Sponsored Links
i wouldnt know unless i open them all up of which by then moisture has a greater than of spoiling it.....if not already spoiled lol
Well, wait untill your going to the job, open it up, run your fingar through it, and if hard as rock buy new and if its not dont?

A lot of paper bags are plastic lined, the ones at the bottom might be worse depending on the floor, but if it where mine I would proberbly have a crack at it. Might use fresh for point it up, but its not miles out of date...

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back