Extending a cable 3 inches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay lets start by saying I know things need to be done correctly. And I understand rules are regulations are there to be [strike]broken[/strike] followed.

I am looking at extending the cables found within a socket by 3 inches. Is there a way of doing this without having to use a junction box as I cannot have a random junction box stuck on the wall (i also cannot simply pull through some of the slack either).

Ideally there is some kind of choc connector which could sit inside the socket back box would be the ideal solution.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am looking at extending the cables found within a socket by 3 inches. Is there a way of doing this without having to use a junction box as I cannot have a random junction box stuck on the wall (i also cannot simply pull through some of the slack either). Ideally there is some kind of choc connector which could sit inside the socket back box would be the ideal solution.
Why do you need to do this - is it simply that the existing cables will not reach the terminals of a new socket?

Provided the 'back box' is deep enough to accommodate them, it would be acceptable to simply join the cables using simple 'connector blocks/strips', or Wago connectors. An electrician might extend the cables by crimping.

Kind Regards, John

Why do you need to do this - is it simply that the existing cables will not reach the terminals of a new socket?

Thats entirely correct the socket was a single and has been chopped out to be a double (all is legit). Simply put the cables are now slightly to short and we need an extra 3 inches of cable.

Is using connector blocks allowed?

Thats entirely correct the socket was a single and has been chopped out to be a double (all is legit). Simply put the cables are now slightly to short and we need an extra 3 inches of cable. Is using connector blocks allowed?
As I said, yes - provided there is enough space in the backbox for them to be safely accommodated.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If the cable is coming in horizontally one way round this is to put two doubles side by side. ( you can never have two many sockets ) with the short cable going to the extra socket and the extra bit of cable between them.

If the cable is coming in horizontally one way round this is to put two doubles side by side. ( you can never have two many sockets ) ....
... or, indeed, simply extend the hole for the double backbox all to one side of the original single (in the direction a horizontal cable was coming from), rather than 'centering' it on the single box. However, I suspect it's too late for the OP to do that!

Having said all that, except in the case of horizontal 'runs' of sockets in kitchens/workshops etc., side entry of cables into sockets is probably fairly uncommon.

Kind Regards, John

Hi mate

Would it be possible to replace the 1 Gang for a 2 in the directing of where the cable is coming from? If you get my drift. Then it should reach. But if not, I'd use crimps as they are a lot thinner than chocs. If you've got room, WAGOs all the way.

You don't need to be a pro to crimp. Especially if you get yourself a rachet crimper. Then you can pick up a pack of 100 crimps for about £1.50. Make sure you get the right size though. Red for 1.5mm (lighting) and blue for 2.5mm (ring)

Hope this helps.

Would it be possible to replace the 1 Gang for a 2 in the directing of where the cable is coming from? If you get my drift. Then it should reach.
Indeed...
... or, indeed, simply extend the hole for the double backbox all to one side of the original single (in the direction a horizontal cable was coming from) ...
However, as I said, I think it's probably too late for the OP to take that approach, unless he's prepared to do a lot of making good of holes in his wall.

Kind Regards, John

But if not, I'd use crimps as they are a lot thinner than chocs.
I wouldn't. If the problem is wires too short it will be difficult anyway.
FWIW, I agree.
You don't need to be a pro to crimp.
It depends what you mean by 'pro'. I won't start the argument again.
Quite so. I suppose I would be less concerned by what is being proposed here than am in our usual discussions/arguments, since the crimped joints would at least remain 'accessible' - but crimping is certainly not the approach I would be (and have been) advising.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back