Extending a ring Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to add a new socket to my kitchen. I have read the tips on this website on how to do it. I've attached the sketch on the before and after layout. Can anyone please check if it's correct?

Electric-Socket.gif

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are these cables/JB going to be hidden (chased into the wall and plastered over?) If they are then the cables and junction box are not in safe zones so no it is not correct. Just run the new socket as a spur. Or fit 2x single sockets next to each other instead of the double socket labelled (1) that way you can get rid of the junction box. The cables need to be run vertically or horizontally from any switch/socket so the run from the new socket to the JB is wrong.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP636.html

If they are surface mounted you are fine.

Many thanks for the reply.

Good thing i asked here before doing my friend's recommendation.

Anyways, what i wanted to really do is add an extra socket above the worktop from the existing one which is below the worktop.

Electric-Socket-2.gif

What's the best way of doing it?

How would i connect it If i use the 2x single sockets?

** The cables from the original socket (1) is underneath beneath the wall and coming from the top.

Sponsored Links
Great Stuff.

one more thing: with the 2 layouts you provided, can the wires be hidden?

Many thanks davy_owen_88.

Yes. Horizontally or vertically from any switch/socket is within the safe zones. Make sure there are no other cables before you start chasing out though.

Also as this work is in a kitchen it is notifiable.

Davy

Notifiable: meaning i have to file a request to the council or just tell them what i did?

Looking at the socket/spur layout: i can only add one double socket at the end, right? I cannot do: main socket (1) - (spur) socket - (spur) socket.

Yes, work in a kitchen requires notification to your LABC.

Only one un-fused spur can come from a socket. If you fit a fused spur between the original socket and the new socket you can run as many sockets as you like but they only be able to draw 13A between them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back