Extending an existing decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I built a L shaped decking, 20 feet has a width of 10ft and other 10ft is 13 feet wide.
My garden's level is 7ft lower than the decking.
I want to extend the narrow part to make the whole deck 13ft wide. the garden end of the Beams are sitting(fixed) on the wall made of conrete blocks.
My question is can I rest the new beam on brackets made of 4"x2" which would be bolted to the wall in 3ft intervals in order to support the joists which have to be extended by at least 3ft?

Sponsored Links
Due to the height above ground your local BCO should be involved, so why not ask him how he'd like to see it?

thanks for the reply. I just came back from visiting a building officer, apparently they don't cover decking.

if im reading this right your going to extends the decking out into mid air from where it is at the moment? are you looking to do this without vertical posts to support it at the edge?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of using 4 brackets (horizontal par3' 6" and the perpendicular part 5' fixed to the wall and then use a timber to connect the ends by aid of steel plates). One end of the beam will rest on the wall and the other end on one of the above brackets. I can use a post to increase the support on the end bracket. Then I will extend the joists to sit on the beam. Do you think it will work?

can you do a sketch? to be honest wether i think it will work is not the point, it needs to, so it might be best to get an engineer to look at it

Sounds like a right pavlova, compared to just getting some 4x4 posts concreted in down below, then braced at all angles.

The best advice you've been given thus far is to get an engineer to take a look.

Due to the height of the decking surface and the fact that you are not proposing to use posts in the more usual way you need someone to do loading calculations for you based on your proposed solution.

This will depend on many factors ...

1. The max expected load on the overhanging area.
2. The condition of the wall.
3. Appropriateness of fixings.
4. Spec of brackets.

Etc etc.

Don't try and shortcut the planning with this or you may end up seriously regretting it ;)

MW

Wouldn't catch me on it :eek:

Not with a full pint in my hand anyway :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back