extending cables to a new cu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, what would you guys use as the most correct, cost effective way of extending cables for introducing into a replacement of old to a new CU.

I'm thinking junction boxes are esthetically very poor, the cables at present are just clipped direct. i was thinking, can u get some sort of exit and entry box with either a range of correct Amp connector blocks or a rail of some sort. would that box then need to have IPX4 for the top surface cable entries?

is there a better or an established way..thanks

Sponsored Links
If you need to extend the tails use an ISCO block.. (100A DP connectors)
Cost about £10.

For the final circuits if you can't re-direct the cables to a more "hidden" location (ie under the floor where you would use junction boxes) a galvanised 6x6x3 adaptable box with connectors (bit shoddy) or a JB with a din rail with some klippon connectors is the more professional choice.
Depends on how good you want it to look tbh.

IF the cables will go into the CU but not reach the terminals then just join them with terminal block or crimps inside the CU.

If they won't reach the CU at all then you will have to join them somehow. din rail terminals in an adaptable box are one technique I have heared several electricans use.

and yes top surface entries have to be IPx4, basically that just means you have to size any holes to match the cable not leave a load of space arround it.

Sponsored Links
sorry, what i mean is the cables are clipped direct as the approach the cu and are concealed elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back