Extending garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i currently live in a link detached house, and would like to extened the garage approx 1m from it current line

house.jpg

the problem is that the one side of the garage is being supported by next doors house,

is it possible to extend via using my house and existing garage as support only

Sponsored Links
I really need more info regarding how it is supported by your next doors house.

And also have you check with your local planning dept as building permission would come into this as your neighbour could reject your project.

the garage flat roof is supported via beams from me "external" wall to there "external" wall

i though i wouldnt need planning if i didnt extend futher that the "house line" which i going nowhere near to and if i can extend the roof by means of supporting via the extising structure and my house (i.e. not "attaching anything to next doors house

Sponsored Links
You don't need planning permission only building permission which is very straight forward,providing it fit in within their regulation and I can't see any problem with yours.I thought I just tell you before you start the project,I know people altered building all the time without getting the okay from the local planning but there've have been known cases where people cannot sell their property as the building project has been altered and not showing on the drawing plan.Sometimes they just clipped a additional paper of your drawing to your plan or might tell you go ahead without bothering ! I would not buy any property that does not meet the drawing plan as there're too many cowboys diy !

Anyway that the boring bit over!

For your garage I would use a heavy duty joists hanger on each side chopped into the walls with maybe 150mm x 50mm timber to each side then tee off with a standard lightweight joists hanger to your RSJ beam then flat roof on top etc Don't know what sort of neighbour you've got but they should be told that you're drilling into their walls.

28512_l.jpg
60964_l.jpg

Heavy duty joist hanger and Standard lightweight hanger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back