Extending Lighting Ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am adding a new ceiling light in a cupboard on an existing ring, and the previous owner had split the ring and put in a spur (twisted and taped wires!) to a new light via the switch. He had twisted and taped the neutrals and used two lives in single pole switch!

What I need to so is extend the ring properly and include the new cupboard light as well as the existing spurred light. I have various ideas on how to do this but would welcome any ideas on the best way.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You sure you have a lighting ring, and you arn't just calling it that wrongly?, becuase your lights certainly shouldn't be on a ring

Adam_151 said:
You sure you have a lighting ring, and you arn't just calling it that wrongly?, becuase your lights certainly shouldn't be on a ring

Sorry, my mistake! It is of course a radial circuit with a spur off of it before it reaches any other lights.

gromit said:
I am adding a new ceiling light in a cupboard on an existing ring, and the previous owner had split the ring and put in a spur (twisted and taped wires!) to a new light via the switch. He had twisted and taped the neutrals and used two lives in single pole switch!
Blimey!

Err... what do you mean by "two lives in single pole switch"?

Sponsored Links
Err... what do you mean by "two lives in single pole switch"?[/quote]

Sorry, I am not using the correct terminology.

The spur to the existing light goes to the light switch FIRST with a return cable going to the light. The light switch therefore has TWO cables with the two reds being connected to each pole of the switch while the blacks are twisted together and taped as common. I presume the only reason this works is because it is the only light on the spur!

Why the previous owner could not have incorporated it into the existing circuit is beyond me as it turns out he cut the cable to make the spur about well before the first light in the circuit was even reached!

:confused:

To incorporate it would have meant extending the circuit cable to the new light - maybe that was unfeasible.

Apart from the twisting and taping (should have used a proper junction box in the circuit cable and choc-block at the switch) there's nothing wrong with what he did.

You don't mention the earth, though - is that taken to the switch, and then on to the light?

ban-all-sheds said:
To incorporate it would have meant extending the circuit cable to the new light - maybe that was unfeasible.

Apart from the twisting and taping (should have used a proper junction box in the circuit cable and choc-block at the switch) there's nothing wrong with what he did.

You don't mention the earth, though - is that taken to the switch, and then on to the light?

Yes the two earths are secured to the switch box

I have now put a proper junction box in to feed the spurt and put a terminal block in the switch.

Thanks for all your help :D

Sorry. For spurt read spur!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back