Extending ring main into extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone please advise me on the best way to do extend my ring main.

I am in the process of building an extension on the side of my house, i have done the first fix for the new ring main, however i now need to work out how im going to connect this to my existing ring main. At the moment im getting ready to break through into my extension. Where im knocking out the door way into the extension there is a plug in the middle of the new door way. i first thought this would be ideal to extend onto my new ring main but im having second thoughts.

Due to new regulations i cant just put a junction box on the connections on the old socket to extend the ring main (well from what understand i cant).

So i guess i would chase back both sides of existing ring main from this plug which is no longer needed as in the middle of new door way and connect them to the start and finish of my new ring in the extension?

Or could i crimp onto the old cables coming from the socket and connect to the new ring main?

Also, when making my final connections after the second fix is done, how will i do this making the least mess? By this i mean, the plasterer and joiner will have finished their part but i will need to get access to the old ring main to connect the extension up. I am going to leave long tails but not sure wear to leave them etc.

Sorry if this is long winded

Dave

Sponsored Links
If existing socket is where door is there should be two cables coming to it. These will go to the first and last sockets in yr conservatory.
Connect new wires from first to last sockets, via the other sockets in the conservatory to complete the ring and you are done.

Run the wires in and connect the joins in each box using terminal blocks and make sure they are well covered up with insul tape. (Dont forget the plasterer will be filling your boxes with soggy wet plaster.)

Dont forget to do all the necessary tests re continuity of the ring, insulation tests and you must have an RCD on the circuit serving these sockets as they will undoubtedly be used to power electrical items outside.
When the plasterer has done you can then remove term blocks and fit yr sockets.

NOTE the wires must be in the safe zones ie run horizontally or vertically from the sockets. You must not leave the wires run in other places or join cables with termiinal boxes and cover them over.

I already have a RCD and will be getting someone to inspect it at the end as need to give building inspector a copy of the certificate as it is a extension not a conservatory but same principle.

I understand what you are saying, although did not realise it would be best to make the ring live, while the pasterer is doing his bit. However it then answers the question i asked, how do i make final connection after plasterer.

I do have one last question though, if the cables from the old socket in the doorway are not long enough to reach the first and last sockets of the extension, can i crimp them to cable to extend the length and cover in heat shrink? However the new cable to extend the cable will be brown and blue with old cable being red and black.

thank you again for help

Sponsored Links
As it is an existing ring I thought that you might want to keep it live while the plastering is done? If not remove the live & neutrals at the consumer unit otherwise an earth fault from wet plaster on the neutral will trip the RCD

You could just put a temp loop beween the first and last sockets to maintain the ring and then hook in the new sockets later.

You can crimp and heatshrink but remember cables must be in saze zones. I prfer to run new wires from previos sockets in the ring if possible.

You musst put correct waring label at the consumer unit If you have a mix of old & new wiring colours

that is great help thank you.

I do need to keep ring main live, but wanted to keep new extended part dead until plasterer was finished. I think i might run a temp cable after break through then chase out the cables from the socket where the door was back to the sockets and connect two new cables from there into the extended ring.

Thank you again for your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back