Extending spur in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrician added a spur for a cooker hood. After he left my wife decided that she didn't like the socket where it was - so I chased in a 10 inch run to the other side of the hood, extended the spur by means of a block, and put a blank plate on the original. Am I right in thinking that this is notifiable? Should I get a sparks back to check the job before I do anything? What is the procedure for notifying?

Sponsored Links
As long as the wiring runs horizontally/vertically from a visible accessory, and is RCD protected, why worry about it?

Sponsored Links
Solicitors paperwork will ask about the electrics and certificates. If you do not own up to carrying out notifiable work then if caught you could be sued. If you admit doing the work then certificates will be asked for. Sounds like you have done what the electrician would have done except it hasn't been tested, certified and notified to Building Control. You can ring a few sparks to see if they will come and test, certify for you. This may cost you as much as getting one to do the job in the first place. How bad will you feel about keeping quite.

I thought that because it's an extension in a kitchen. If it were the lounge then I wouldn't be worrying.

Now I understand. Under the April 2013 changes a kitchen is no longer a special location. Thankyou.

Yep, I stand corrected on the notifyable work. Part P is being watered down to even less importance.

It should still be tested and certified, of course.

It was said electrician installed the original, a ten inch extension won't make much difference (electrically speaking, that is).

Solicitors paperwork will ask about the electrics and certificates. If you do not own up to carrying out notifiable work then if caught you could be sued. If you admit doing the work then certificates will be asked for.
As has been explained, this work is not notifiable (in England). However, even if it were (for example, if it were in Wales), the appropriate course would, IMO, be to admit that you had done (but not notified) the notifiable work, say that you had no certificates and let the prospective buyer 'put all that in their pipe and smoke it'. If they really decided to pull out of the purchase (probably after they had paid for a survey etc. and incurred at least some solicitor's fees) because of a 10" un-notified socket extension, that would, IMO, be their problem!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John

In fact I'm not even sure if the work needs certifying now. I think that installing a spur can be done by a diy'er as long as it meets the BS. Whilst I did not install a spur as such nor did I break the rule and spur to a spur. i merely extended existing cable. My only concern is that I made the extention by means of a block inside a back box. I couldn't find a chockbox small enough to fit inside but I reckon that the fact that there's obviously something there (with an earth fly) and the fact that it's metal actually gives it a good level of protection. If you know of a chockbox that would fit inside a single socket back box then please let me know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back