Extending SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move an outbuilding cu atleast a metre further from the door as I need to increase the size of the entrance door.

To move the cu that little bit, the swa will not reach the new location so I was planning to run the swa as far as I can along the wall and then join it in an enclosure box using henley blocks.

Then run meter tails from the blocks to the cu.

Its two core swa with the armour used as the earth. Can I connect the armour into a Henley block, and then a length of earth cable to the cu?

Is this ok as I can't think of an alternative.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
No.

The way to do it is to terminate the existing SWA into an adaptable box, such as this, using an apropriate gland, then terminate another piece of armoured into the other side of the box, or meter tails, T&E etc depending on conditions.

You should install a the outgoing earth wire to the hole of the earthing banjo using a nut, bot and ring crimp.

The cores should be conected with connectors or crimps.

What size is the existing SWA?

From the look of it, it's 16mm.

The plan I stated was identicle to an installation I saw a month ago installed by pro's so I thought if thats the way they did it, I'll do the same.

i can't see any reason you couldn't use henly blocks for the live and neutral but you must put them inside an enclosure as the individual cores from the SWA will only be single insulated.

Sponsored Links
I popped around to the guys place to have another look and the sparky guy was there wiring some new thing.

I mentioned that I have an identicle job to do to the one I pointed out to him and I asked him about using glands in an adaptable box instead.

He said you could but why go to the bother of all that when you have a much simplier way and at the same time, you will have a nice tidy job than have an ugly galvanised box stuck to the wall with swa showing.

He had a good point and a white enclosure box, with the swa & tails in white conduit would look much tidier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back