Extending the landing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure this is the correct forum to post in but I’m just after some advice. Is it possible to extend the floor space of the landing? In my mind it seems a rather straightforward job. I know it’s a small gain but it would make a big difference to our (my wife’s) life.
I have uploaded a photo. I would like to extend over the gap, and I want to replace the handrail anyway. Would it just be a case of connecting extra timber to the existing floor joists and boarding top and bottom and fit a new hand rail directly to the newel post?
IMG_8330.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You would have to make it secure/structurally safe.

Not sure this is the correct forum to post in but I’m just after some advice. Is it possible to extend the floor space of the landing? In my mind it seems a rather straightforward job. I know it’s a small gain but it would make a big difference to our (my wife’s) life.
I have uploaded a photo. I would like to extend over the gap, and I want to replace the handrail anyway. Would it just be a case of connecting extra timber to the existing floor joists and boarding top and bottom and fit a new hand rail directly to the newel post?View attachment 338377
Do you have 2 metres vertical headroom presently, measured plumb from the outside most point of the tread? If not, then you should not make it worse.

How did you manage to fit those LED lights? They look good.
Making the landing wider I’d say is possible but a faff. You’d be oversailing the chunky trimmer which I assume runs along the edge, with limited options to support it at the ends

Sponsored Links
Do you have 2 metres vertical headroom presently, measured plumb from the outside most point of the tread? If not, then you should not make it worse.
Not sure how the alteration would affect the headroom?

How did you manage to fit those LED lights? They look good.
Making the landing wider I’d say is possible but a faff. You’d be oversailing the chunky trimmer which I assume runs along the edge, with limited options to support it at the ends
Drilled through into the garage, fused spur at the bottom of the stairs through to another socket in the garage where the lights are plugged in to.

It would not affect headroom no, my main concern is how I would tie into the joists in the box room to provide support. I was thinking I should be able to access the joists through the bulkhead and put some sort of joist hanger there.

For me, i think its a lot of upheaval to gain a few inches. Then again, sometimes in life having an extra few inches can make all the difference!!!!!

Last edited:
For me, i think it’s a lot of upheaval to gain a few inches. Then again, sometimes in life having an extra few inches can make all the difference!!!!!
that’s what the mrs keeps banging on about

Do you mean to fit a new joist where the blue line is and board over the orange gap to make the upstairs hallway wider?

1711779703772.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back