Extending the roof on a 1930's semi and more support perhaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a two storey side extension on my semi, upstairs I want to knock out the side wall thereby making the third bedroom 6ft wider. The new extension will stop 5 feet from the front of the house I want to put a pitch roof above the bedroom and will therefore want to connect that new ridge onto the existing roof timbers. The timber construction is relatively straightforward BUT will the regs people want the original roof to be reinforced because it's helping to support the new roof (remembering the supporting wall and it's wallplate will be removed?

Sponsored Links
I want to build a two storey side extension on my semi, upstairs I want to knock out the side wall thereby making the third bedroom 6ft wider. The new extension will stop 5 feet from the front of the house I want to put a pitch roof above the bedroom and will therefore want to connect that new ridge onto the existing roof timbers. The timber construction is relatively straightforward BUT will the regs people want the original roof to be reinforced because it's helping to support the new roof (remembering the supporting wall and it's wallplate will be removed?
Difficult to say.

A lay roof does not necessarily need any strengthening of the roof below but it does need the roof below to be intact.

The wall plate will need to be supported with a beam which will be visible in the bedroom below.

A conventional hipped roof should not need strengthening. The joiners will fix layboards about 450 wide up the slope on the existing rafters, and these will support the feet of the new rafters.

Although there will be extra weight on the original roof, the old tiles will have been removed and this will compensate.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Noseall.......just to help me understand........

I assume the new ridge board will be nailed at 90 degrees to the existing rear hip ridgeboard (probably 7" x 1"), this new ridge will obviously be supported by the new rafters that will be nailed to the new wall plates sitting on the 3 new walls. The old wallplate will be supporting nothing because the old rafters aren't doing anything anymore therefore I could remove those rafters and their wallplate.................or am I being a wombat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back