extension above garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,going to start extension above garage in next couple of months but heres the problem i have to take garage roof off and the utility which backs onto the garage roof off aswell.Is there any way i can leave roofs on while building up till i get main roof blacked in.Thinking of acroing trusses up and cutting up before wallplate and taking wallplate off but how would i get first floor joists in?Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You need to empty all rooms below and isolate electrics.

Otherwise build a canopy scaffold and hope you don't damage any of the utility furnishings by dropping stuff.

You could leave the roof in if you can trim joist back from the external wall to allow it to be built up. Then cut the joists out of the internal wall and fill the holes before putting in the new floor joists on hangers

A problem will be drainage from the roof. So if you can't adapt it and poke a bit of gutter or pipe through the wall, then you need to poke the gutter or pipe through and then lay a tarpaulin or polythene over the flat roof so as to collect the rain water and divert it into the gutter or pipe

you need to poke the gutter or pipe through and then lay a tarpaulin or polythene over the flat roof so as to collect the rain water and divert it into the gutter or pipe

Yeah righto Kemosabe!

Invest in a couple of brollys too. Water has a propensity to find a way in.

Sponsored Links
floating floor/roof
cut off sparks get a load of ackrows in screw up scaff boards too the joists across the joists then start filling the room with props 4ft/5ft centers
screw them too the bpards at the top let the prop take the roof then up you got and start cutting out the joists ie floating roof on the props
or just prop up the far end and the middle leave the wall plate fixed so it can pick up the waight

acrow_bendigo1.jpg

Good suggestions.The reason is is the electric consumer unit is on the garage wall and the new boiler is in the utility room.The garage has a hipped roof and the utility has a flat roof at the back of the garage roof.My idea was prop the trusses up around garage and prop joists up at back of utility and cut back trusses and joists and remove wallplates so brickie can build up then when new roof is blacked in and tiled and can remove trusses and joists and fit new joists by cutting out pockets in existing wall and bolting 9x2 to new gable and fit new joists to hangers.Sound good?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back