Extension completed but its freeeeeezing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Just had our 4x4 garden room finished.
Roof done, ceiling and walls plastered, concrete floor laid, windows and doors in, electrics done and radiator fitted.
Now the thing that concerns me is..........its frikkin freezing in there.
I am still to decide on what floor to put in and obviously have a gap between floor and walls to which i have to attach skirting once my choice of floor is laid.
Question is, why is it so cold in there, honestly its as if i have had the doors open all night, will there be a draught coming through the walls at some point and down the void which was insulated and then through the gap between wall and floor, If so how do i stop this.
Cheers and a merry christmas to all.

Sponsored Links
a well insulated room will keep in the cold as efficiently as it will keep in the warmth. is the room insulated up to part L regulations?

if so then an appropriate sized radiator (turned on!) will easilly cope.

skybluescooby said:
why is it so cold in there
I surmise that it's only recently been screeded and plastered. If so, then the evaporation of the huge amounts of water used in construction will take a lot of heat energy out of the room.

And if the plaster is still drying, don't be tempted to make it dry faster with a fan heater.

yeah, completed withing last few days, Plaster is all but dry.
Radiator has been fitted and turned on but i'll be getting the plumber back as you can sit your bare ar*e on it,
Thanks for the other notes

Sponsored Links
As a plumber I am interested how the radiator is heated, don,t tell me you have pipes running from the main house some distance to a single rad?
Pete

Your interest concerns me !!!
Rad pipes run from bedroom rad situated above garden room.
At this point i must say that the garden room is attached to the lounge, basically its a conservatory with a tiled roof. They then run along the joists and down the wall to the centre of the rear dwarf wall.
Im hoping its something to o with the room levelling out as some days its bone cold and others its warm

A properly sized and balanced radiator should keep a new extension warm - whether it is drying out or not.

If it does not then the problem could be one of several reasons.

But you should actually measure the temperature to see if it is actually colder or just perceived

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back