Extension Cost (i.e. how long is a piece of string)

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just finished the last 'big' expenditure on our house (EWI) and whilst I have a couple of rooms to redecorate they are bedrooms and will be done a little cheaply in the short term.

I'm now looking in to the next big step which would be an extension so I can start saving up.

Our house is a 2 story chalet bungalow, so 2 bedrooms on the 1st floor and everything else on the ground floor. I have an eaves running the full length of the house and most of the houses in the area have now built into these.

Based on others that I have seen the eaves are built into to give an extra bedroom and an upstairs bathroom. The back bedroom has a wall moved (non-load bearing block) to provide a landing an access to the extra rooms.

I have watched a few of these being done over the past couple of years and they don't appear to do any external work for foundations and having been inside a few there is no obvious structural work to support the second floor (i.e. no additional columns etc). I would caveat by saying the ones I have seen were done a while a go so may need additional structural work under modern regs.

My question is how much would I need to save in order to get this done (excluding decorating)? The space is 2mx18m and I have (hopefully) attached a floorplan.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Its had to see how you would get the stair to work without carving a chunk out of one of the attic rooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back