Extension halted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder was doing a side extension, in my bungalow. We thought it come under PD. WE have now learnt I need planning permission, and we halted work. He's only laid thr block and beam floor no blocks have gone up.

What are my options? Should I wait and put in planning. I been told the wait time is 3 months.
Or should I continue while the extension while the planning is going through its application. The house is wide open as walls have been knocked down.

Advise pls..

Sponsored Links
It all depends on the chances of it being approved, there's not enough information in your post to answer any more than that so you'll need to elaborate.

It is a question you need to be having with the Council as they hold all the cards and a meeting with the council Planning Officers may help and they could be sympathetic to your situation. It may be a case of securing the property for now as if you carry on building can you afford to have to take it down again if they refuse permission and you build it before they decide you can ? It may help if you can find similar properties in your area that have asked for extensions and see what the results were as every Council publishes online the planning Apps they receive so will give you a good gauge of what they allow and it also gives you some ammo to use to promote your case to them. If you have a good builder you may get him to fit you back in once planning is hopefully passed but i would advise against going ahead with it if you don't currently have planning.

Sponsored Links
The extension isnon the side of bungalow behind garage, so no one from outside cab see it. It's 10meteres in length and 4 metres wide. It doesn't go past the back of existing house.
Also in a conservation area and others have done similar extensions.

Hi vik2001. Firstly, don't panic! In my experience, planning departments are usually very sympathetic to people in your position; after all, the council rely on private house owners to expand and improve their dwellings in order to offer additional living space.
Firstly, you'll need to get a chippy to securely board up the gaps with timber, OSB and plastic sheeting (most of which will be reused!). I've done that many times, and you'll be surprised at how weather-proof and secure you'll feel once that's done!
You'll need to open a dialogue with someone at the planning office. Try to build a positive relationship with them and explain your predicament clearly.
If it's of any consolation, this has happened at the right time of year at least!
Good luck with everything!
Olly

WTF! You won't even get assigned a planning officer until about two months after getting the application validated and even then they're unlikely to be interested in any dialogue until there's a week or two to go and all the comments are in. Since Covid Planning for domestic stuff has gone right up the swanny and it wasn't great before! It will be approved if it meets the Local Plan guidance and it won't if it doesn't, best check out the Local Plan guidance and see what it says ....

WTF! You won't even get assigned a planning officer until about two months after getting the application validated and even then they're unlikely to be interested in any dialogue until there's a week or two to go and all the comments are in. Since Covid Planning for domestic stuff has gone right up the swanny and it wasn't great before! It will be approved if it meets the Local Plan guidance and it won't if it doesn't, best check out the Local Plan guidance and see what it says ....
Haha! Let's hope that vik2001's planning department are more like ours! Honestly, I'd expect this issue to be resolved and work restarted within 6 weeks up our way!
Watch this space! Lol

Your options are
Carry on
Stop

Planning decisions are eight weeks after registration. Plus the time to draw the plans.

Through the architect who we employed later as we needed steels before extending to sides.
As a side note, an experienced architect will be all over the planning regs, which is vital. A few years back, my son insisted on using a friend of his, who had only recently qualified as an architect... Big mistake! There was very little detail on his Micky Mouse A4 prints and the builders were constantly seeking clarification on measurements and insulation spec etc.
Olly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back