Extension halted

The builder is trying to have a word with someone in the council he knows. If no luck in next day or so I will get the planning submitted. I have the plans drawn up.

Sponsored Links
Well that's good, but personally I like to talk directly to the planning office. That way you know EXACTLY what's going on. But that's just me.

The wait times for my council for planning is around 3 months I'm told. Turned Into a right mess. I will get builder to board up

Were you told by your builder, the architect or by the planning office directly?
Boarding up won't take long, and as I said earlier, you'll be able to reuse most of the materials later!
All the best!

Sponsored Links
If you get along with your neighbours, considering that the extension will not be a bother to anyone, you could just build it with a building control notice and take a little gamble.
Here in west London, council doesn't look at anything over 6 years old.
In other words, build it, wait 6 years and then is as good as having been built under planning permission.

If you get along with your neighbours, considering that the extension will not be a bother to anyone, you could just build it with a building control notice and take a little gamble.
Here in west London, council doesn't look at anything over 6 years old.
In other words, build it, wait 6 years and then is as good as having been built under planning permission.
High stakes Johnny boy! You never really know your neighbours! Lol

Sure, if you don't mind squeaky bum time ..... :p

BTW it's four years for domestic extensions though this looks set to be phased out and replaced with the ten year rule.

an experienced architect will be all over the planning regs
That's not guaranteed. Architects (RIBA) may not actually be 100% clued up on planning or building regs, and may concentrate on the design and "relationship of the user experience" or other such arty nonsense, and get others to work on the actual regulation side of things.

Technicians (especially CIAT) should be more conversant and cheaper too for standard extensions.

But Dave down the road may be good too, despite being unqualified.

Point is, you get a lot of crap from a lot of people whether they are qualified or not, unfortunately there are no guarantees.

You can select no extension of time.

Not sure if this is the case here or not but my neighbours set our local Councillor on the planners after 3 months and vented their frustration on local SM

And OP - you normally use a structural engineer to determine and specify the steel sizes for BC

That's not guaranteed. Architects (RIBA) may not actually be 100% clued up on planning or building regs, and may concentrate on the design and "relationship of the user experience" or other such arty nonsense, and get others to work on the actual regulation side of things.

Technicians (especially CIAT) should be more conversant and cheaper too for standard extensions.

But Dave down the road may be good too, despite being unqualified.

Point is, you get a lot of crap from a lot of people whether they are qualified or not, unfortunately there are no guarantees.
Have you got Dave's number? Lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back