extension help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

WHen i finish uni next month, I wil be getting onto renavation for the new family house. Its a 1930s semi and the picture below shows the floor plan as it is.

old.jpg

Currently the garage roof in felted and leaking, the Veradah has a UPVC roof, the toilet has a tiled roof and the shed is just an old wooden shed.

I want to extend rthe kitchen into the verandah, demolish the toilet and shed and build a new building to house a laundry area (just for washer and tumble drier) and bathroom to have a WC, basin and shower.

I then want to replace the whole side roof at once with a tiled on which also goes over the porch roof.

Now the kitchen floor and verandah floor is not in line, there is about an 8inch drop. The picture explains a but more

prop.jpg

What sort of work will be involved in completin the job, it will only be single storey. I think the centre dividing wall between the neighbours is double-bricked. Also rough prices

The kitchen ceiling has 2 levels as the stairs turn 90degrees above the kitchen, hence i have left the wall in the diagram for the support (also the sewerage pipe runs on the other side of this wall)

Sorry for the long essay but a bit busy at uni so havent managed to get anyone around, but i would like to be armed with info when I get some time to get a builder around.

Sponsored Links
I like the idea of a 'sextension' :eek: :LOL:

Can do the inspections when its built?

b21playa said:
you do extensions?

Sometimes build them, but mostly design them

What you want to do seems feasible, but you need to either get a builder around to advise initially, or better still someone to professionally advise on the planning and building regulation requirements, implications and costs.

My main question is how can a student afford a house AND extension/alterations :eek:

Sponsored Links
^woody^ said:
b21playa said:
you do extensions?

Sometimes build them, but mostly design them

What you want to do seems feasible, but you need to either get a builder around to advise initially, or better still someone to professionally advise on the planning and building regulation requirements, implications and costs.

My main question is how can a student afford a house AND extension/alterations :eek:

cheers

its the parents house so they paying but im doing most of the work myself and sorting everything out.

i will have to see if i can get a builder out to price up some quotes. I really only want the shell built, I can sort the rest out after myself

roughly how much will i be looking at, its say 7ft wide by 40ft long

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back