Extension plan cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone please tell me the cost of plans for building regs for a 6sqm extension?
Regards Dave

Sponsored Links
Presumably it doesn't need planning, that is there are no planning drawings to use and it's not been surveyed either?

Hi Fred, I don't need planning permission, just drawings for building regs that need to be submitted.
Can you do these drawings yourself or do you know what it would cost for someone to do them?
Regards Dave

I did my planning and building regs drawings myself so if you are capable yes is the answer. As for cost for someone else to do them I guess that will depend on what your proposals are.

Sponsored Links
Probably about £600-£1200 + SE fees if required + Building Control Fee + Build Over fees if applicable.

If you have a builder you trust and who has a good relationship with the local authority, you don't need regs plans - you can do everything on a building notice. However, there is more risk to you if the builder builds something LA won't approve. For just 6sqm it most likely isn't going to be complicated.

6m2 - eg 3 walls and foundations, 1 floor, 1 roof, windows or doors, drain connections and knock- through can be just the same to draw and detail as a 60 m2 extension, it's just longer lines and same text.

Also consider whether you want drawings just to pass building regulations or for a builder to price and build to?

Hi Woody, it's just 2 walls and there is no knock though as I am using the old bifold door to put on the front of the extension. No pipes or drains to move. It's just a basic shell to make the dining room larger. I just wanted to know if I could do my own plan or if I need someone to do it and cost.
Regards Dave

Do you have 'As Built' plans? If you have good, saved a few pennies. If not expect £350 to £500 + VAT for those drawings.
For the extension plans expect between £600 and £1200 + VAT. The higher end should include SE costs.
Are you using an existing opening as is or are you widening or making a new opening?
Not changing an existing opening talk to your builder but I guess you could do your plan. New opening or widening an existing opening then I suggest proper plans will be needed As I expect You will need a SE's input.

Last edited:
Hi Woody, it's just 2 walls and there is no knock though as I am using the old bifold door to put on the front of the extension. No pipes or drains to move. It's just a basic shell to make the dining room larger. I just wanted to know if I could do my own plan or if I need someone to do it and cost.
Regards Dave
My reply was just to illustrate that size is not indicative of cost, as the the drawing work can be the same.

If you know the building regulations then of course you can draw your own drawings. But be aware that crap drawings can pass building regs, but when a builder comes to build and the drawings lack detail or coherence, you will pay more for them to work things out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back