Extension

Yo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to do the brick laying for the extension i intended. As i have a tight budget i am planning to do it myself. I took a brick laying couse. The one thing that confuses me is DPC. I know i need to put one atleast 150mm above ground level and in all openings, like window and doors. The one thing i am not sure is do i need to put DPC where the new building joins the old brick work.The new walls to be tied to existing using Furfix profiles.. Help please???

Sponsored Links
No.

However, you would need to have measures in place to prevent the spread of damp from a building that has no dpc to a building that does.

Vertical dpc is only needed if jambs are built as solid abutments. Solid abutments are acceptable for aerated blocks only.

Otherwise leave the cavity open and use proprietary cavity closers or use my own preferred method.

or use my own preferred method.

which is?
Take a 100mm sheet of foil sandwich celotex and cut it into 100 mm strips. Fit this into the cavity, (foil sides facing the masonry) using celotex wedges where necessary, then foam all the gaps.

You can not budge the stuff unlike poxy cav' clodgers that move and wander about the second you try and dab any boards onto them. Total waz. Mine you can punch as hard as you like and won't budge, won't bridge damp and won't bridge cold.

Sponsored Links
Do you use that method to close off the cills too?

Where the cavity remains open at head height, eg. where a stone head & concrete lintel are used, do you do the same. A poor detail on many new builds, I've noticed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back