Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi We had plans drawn up by Architectural guy for single storey extension on back of bungalow with flat roof 8m x 4m - got go ahead from planning permission and building control. Kitchen, utility and dining. Utility will be stud wall. Will require electrics all plastered plumbing and drains. No units etc. Had builder round and he says we need structural engineer and quantity surveyor. Is this correct? I thought it would be pretty straightforward but has taken 6 months and builder says it will take another few months to get all info to even give me a quote :(
Can anyone advise please.

Sponsored Links
Find another/ better/ proper builder.

If your building regulations plans are approved, a builder just builds accordance with the approval.

He probably didn't want the job. Although, why would have he turned up?

JP Shortage of builders down here - everyone complains about it!

Sponsored Links
I'm intrigued. Didn't you ask the builder why you needed a structural engineer and a quantity surveyor?

If you followed the "builders" advice and engaged a structural engineer and a quantity surveyor what was it you were going to ask them to do?

By the way, there isn't that much of a shortage of builders in this part of Dorset, you can barely throw a stick without hitting one. It is just like it has been for the last 30 years, the good ones are always busy so you need to book them at least a year in advance.

wessex101 I did ask why and he said he needs to be told what footings depth, the steel rafters etc plus list of all materials required. He gave me phone no of guy he always uses but I am reluctant to ring.
What part of Dorset are you? I have lots of customers tell us the problems they have in getting a good builder here. I asked couple of others who didn't bother to turn up!

If you are knocking out the back wall, and maybe putting in rooflights/lanterns (flat roof?), you might need some figures from a SE for the necessary beams. (It's likely that a note on the plans says "steel beams to SE specification" or suchlike).

Don't know whay you should need a QS? Perhaps ths builder wants you to pay someone to work out a schedule of materials and prices?
Or - as above - he's not interested.

The builders I have used have worked all this out themselves. Footings depth is usually at least 1.2m, but dependent on soil conditions and will need building control to inspect (mine ended up about 2m in places). If you got building control approval, surely that had the steel details on it?

I'd be very tempted to get a better builder.

He gave me phone no of guy he always uses
Told you you need someone and kindly gave a number of his mate. How kind. :cautious:

The details he mentioned should be on the plans. If not get in touch with your plan drawer and ask him why not.

What does your approval say?

wessex101 I did ask why and he said he needs to be told what footings depth, the steel rafters etc plus list of all materials required. He gave me phone no of guy he always uses but I am reluctant to ring.
What part of Dorset are you? I have lots of customers tell us the problems they have in getting a good builder here. I asked couple of others who didn't bother to turn up!

Thought so. Your builder is an idiot, tell him to Foxtrot Oscar.

Try going back to your "architectural guy" and tell him the builder you spoke to says you need a structural engineer. If you have Building Control approval as you've stated then there is something funny going on that your designer did not realise that structural calcs were required and "forgot" to mention it. You do not need a structural engineer to design the foundations unless you have a very complicated building or you are building on very poor ground. The whole QS nonsense is just laughable.

Perhaps the architect supplied "planning permission" drawings omitting build detail.

In which case he probably intends to charge you more for a second set.

Haven't you got the Building Regulations drawings?

Have a look at your architects contract.

I did ask why and he said he needs to be told what footings depth, the steel rafters etc plus list of all materials required.

If its just a normal foundation -strip or trench, then nobody knows the depth until the trenches are dug down at least to 800mm -and its possible to see what the ground is like
If there are trees within say 10 metres or so that may have an influence on the depth of foundation

If the builder wants a QS maybe he us used to being given a written schedule of works -but thats only done by an architect IME if the architect is offering a full project management service and is being paid by the client to obtain tenders....all a bit over the top for a 32sq m extension.

Builders would be expected to quote for an extension from the building regs drawings -its perfectly normal to do so.

If you gave a builder planning drawings, then he would be correct in asking for more info

There's steel U shaped girders in where patio doors now and opening into conservatory other side which will need filling in. Bit of a slope one side so obviously foundations will need to be deeper that side. When builder looked at it he said that was no problem. No drains or trees nearby. Planning and BR went from same drawings. I don't know what difference there is for them. A lot of people use this guy for plans but we didn't have any sort of contract. I paid £1200 + all the council fees. It's becoming a bit of a nightmare - reckon I've messed up how I've gone about it.

Its a bit unusual to have a quantity surveyor on a small domestic job, but pretty common to have a structural engineer depending on what work the extension involves.
Why don't you block out your name and address and post a picture of the drawing you've had done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back