Extention, non continuous cavity.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am in the process of self building a small single storey extention, currently building up to DPC.
I will be using wall starters and Dom to join both (block) skins to the original back of the house, which will be completely knocked through right up to the original sides of the house.

I’m currently stuck as to continuing the cavity between the old and new. If I cut even a blade width slot in the wall to maintain a cavity it will weaken the corner and leave me no support for the RSJ.

What are my options to prevent damp/cold bridging on the section of wall that span the external and internal walls?
167E889B-AE66-4AFF-9C77-65AB94784BFE.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Where will the steel beam ultimately sit?

Can you rotate the image next time please.(y)

Drawing shows/states centrally over the cavity of the rear wall with a 400x100mm padstone. To me that means, half on the original inner skin and half on the return section on the rear outer skin, hence my concern of separating this from the rest of the wall. If I cut the cavity out the padstone will be on a 4” square pile of bricks essentially.

Can you get the plans up?
I'm guessing the red below the cut lines is being removed, so the new inner skin will come across the cavity and be tied into the inner skin on the left.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the house is two storey I don't think you can knock through the entire wall width with just a rsj. I think you can only knock through 2/3 of the wall ensuring there is enough width either side to sit the beam on and maintain structure. It could be all knocked through if using a frame though... Not 100% sure but that is what an SE has told me recently as doing the same.

Plans are vague.

Tying the new inner into the old inner is possible, but would involve me making a big hole in the back of the house months before it can then be made water tight again.

B1,b2 and B3 are all RSJs replacing walls. Hatched line are all new walls.

image.jpg

It looks to me as though your new and existing blockwork will not line up in any case.

I would also refer to the engineers' calc's and look to see if there are any recommendations regards tying in, buttressing, size of piers etc.

This is mine:
IMG_20190819_131157321.jpg

Everything behind and to the left of the level will go and my new block work will meet the 100mm which is left thus continuing the cavity.
On my other side there is a return as it steps in from the boundary but the principle is the same (everything to the right of the inner starter will go):
IMG_20190819_131219029.jpg

You do of course need to chop big holes in the back of your house! My right hand side is being held up by a piece of 4x2 (the hole wouldn't normally be that big but I needed the bricks elsewhere!):
IMG_20190819_132830359.jpg

And the left hand by a 100mm pier next to the window frame:
IMG_20190819_132430450.jpg

Support for my steels on the straight cavity side is via a "spreader" padstone lengthwise on the inner leaf, which I suppose is essentially what your 400x100 padstone is.

Cheers Cbde, pics help loads. Rethinking what I was planning now.

Any tips for waterproofing the hole for a few months?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back