Exterior door rot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a solid wood back door which is very good but on the outside at the bottom there is a small hole where the wood has rotted. I am going to paint it with undercoat and a weather shield gloss again but what advice would anyone give to treating and filing the rotten area before painting ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The bottom of the outer door is worse than I initialy thought. The inside is solid wood, its the outer tongue and groove layer that is suffering at the bottom. I have bought some putty to fill it before I paint. It has linseed oil in so should help preserve.

It may not be the right way to do it but as I have had no answer here I used my initiative as it says its good for exterior wood.

That's no good. You want to treat the door with anti rot then use a wood hardener then a car body filler. Putty is useless. It may really be beyond economic repair.

What about antifreeze to treat the wood rot and then Milliput expoy putty ?

Failing that, a new piece of wood.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back