Exterior Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm going to be fixing up my garden soon and plan on using those exterior slate tiles. To save a heap of digging is it ok to build a plywood subfloor and lay these tiles directly onto that? Are there any issues with drainage or anything to consider?

Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance for your time

Greig

Sponsored Links
What do you think a decade of moisture will do to the plywood?

It's just an idea just now thought it would be easier to level etc, I was thinking WBP Ply but would that still be no use?

Cheers

Greig

I was thinking WBP Ply but would that still be no use?
No it won’t. Even if the ply deck was totally rigid, the tiles will fail pretty soon after the first downpour you get as the wood in the ply expands due to moisture, destroying the adhesive/grout. You also need to consider the effects of freezing conditions on whatever adhesive you plan to use & what it will do to the moisture contained within. You need an adhesive/grout suitable for below freezing conditions.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice

If I use sub base + paving sand can I grout with the likes of Bal provided its proper stuff for exterior?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back