Exterior window seal advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All -

I have some uPVC windows installed outside with no seal around the edges. I’ve sealed the sides but not sure if I should seal top or bottom.

I’ve had some issues with dampness on that wall (lower side) and mouldy wood at the top.

Do I need to seal all around the window?

The zoomed in photos are from the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_1090.jpeg
    IMG_1090.jpeg
    521.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    413.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1088.jpeg
    IMG_1088.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1086.jpeg
    IMG_1086.jpeg
    421 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1085.jpeg
    IMG_1085.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
Actually thats an aluminium window, there could be a silicone seal under the rendering but we'll never know so it wouldn't harm to seal the render to the window, but I'd question the inadequate overhang on the cill, 30/40mm is the norm, was ther render/tyrolean an afterthought because you've lost all your overhang if it was?

Actually thats an aluminium window, there could be a silicone seal under the rendering but we'll never know so it wouldn't harm to seal the render to the window, but I'd question the inadequate overhang on the cill, 30/40mm is the norm, was ther render/tyrolean an afterthought because you've lost all your overhang if it was?
I just moved so not entirely sure but it seems the render was indeed an afterthought.

Do you recommend sealing the gaps at the bottom? I did the sides but the top also doesn’t seem to be sealed.

Thanks again for the reply

Yes remove the trickle vent and seal across the top and refit vent, seal all the gaps around the ends of cill and underneath. It could also be that the rendering is porous

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back