external disk drive

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just got a new notebook - small laptop, that doesn't have any disk drive

I want to load up some software - can I somehow use the disk drive on my pc? rather than buying a cheap external drive

cheers

Sponsored Links
When you say you want to load software on the PC's drive do you mean to run the installation program on the laptop and point it at the PCs drive for the installation folder?

In theory it's possible, but you'll probably find it doesn't work very well in practise. What are the operating systems on teh PC and the laptop?

i want to load software onto the laptop but use the disk drive on the pc to take the program from the disk

Sponsored Links
You'll probably find that your little laptop doesn't even have a nic (network port) in which case you cannot directly connect that to the pc via a crossover cable.

TBH its really messy. Just get a flash disk, they aint expensive.

Still not sure what you mean.

Do you want to copy the installation CD to teh disk on your PC and then run the setup programme from there to install the software onto your laptop's disk?

or

Do you want to run the setup programme on the laptop and tell it to copy all its files onto the disk on the PC?

Are these computers both running Windows? Which version?

cant you use a flash drive/usb memory stick?

whats wrong with doing this ? i do it all the time to transfer from main computer (Windows Vista) and laptop (windows XP Professional) and vice versa never had a program of file too big for a memory stick

locate file/program you want - put memory stick in usb socket - save file to memory stick - move memory stick to other computer - download

as Alexander says SIMPLES!

Sponsored Links
Back