External drainage/DPC problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a damp problem in my 1900 house which has been caused by a 100mm wide channel cut alongside the base of the external wall which holds rainwater and gradually deteriorates the brickwork below DPC. The channel was cut to prevent rainwater splashing up off the concrete path which runs next to the external wall and penetrating the wall above the DPC.

I am proposing to apply a black bitumen paint, painted onto the damaged brickwork to prevent further deterioiration. I can also partially fill the channel and create a gradient away from the house so the water doesn't 'sit' against the wall.

Any advice would be welcome - thanks.

[/url]

Sponsored Links
Hi, Always a tricky one this. I would suggest, safety permitting. that you dig out a deep channel to allow the wall to dry naturally. Then bitumise it then back fill with a 20mm shingle which will help natural drainage. Alternatively if the issue is really damage to the brickwork then apply a good quality silicone brick sealant, this also works better on dry brickwork!

Dunc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back