External Ducting from Cooker Hood Through Supporting Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on some planned work.

We are planning to locate a cooker hood (typical stainless chimney type) on the wall of the kitchen above an existing hob. Rather than recirculate, I want to duct externally. The wall is a cavity wall, with brick outer skin and blockwork internal skin (concrete / breeze block type).

However, the wall with the hob is supporting the joists for the floor upstairs (semi-detatched house). The extract has a 6" duct, and has an adapter for 5".

Routing the duct at 90° to the other wall isn't an option, as there is a boiler there.

The ceiling has had new plasterboard fitted, but is not plastered yet, so could be taken down quite easily.

How would you proceed? I see a couple of options:

1. Core drill 5" for round ducting straight out.
2. Cut out and install small lintel and core drill below lintel, up to 6". Either resting joist on lintel or below joist.
3. Use adapter and go through wall with square / rectangular ducting.

I'll either do this myself or get someone in.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Take a look at the outside of any number of houses - you will see all manner of large holes for flues, vents, soil pipes etc etc. Hence no need for a lintel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back