External Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've got a floor mounted ideal mexico 2 boiler, 36kw, with a large external flue outlet on the exterior wall. The exhaust/flue contraption is approx 50cm by 50cm.

Is there a regulation (assume there is!) which dictates how close objects may be placed to it? In particular, above it.

Thanks
Mike

EDIT: Changed subject

Sponsored Links
Thats right, rs125 IIRC.

Hmm, i dont have the manual - will try and locate it online.

Sponsored Links
Wasn't going to say anything as i'll get shot down, but was down the side of the house by the flue outlet and surprised to hear the guttering cracking and creaking as it expanded due to the heat from the flue outlet, approx 6ft below.

Putting my hand 30cm above the outlet and the heat is fairly intense. Presumably the 35% that is missing due to this being only 65% efficient.

Got me thinking, a smallish rad filled with antifreze 30cm above the flue (so not interfering with it) would probably capture enough heat to warm something on the other side of the wall. Heat tubes another possibility. Obviously avoiding interfering with the flue outlet itself.

There are products which do something similar and i'd consider one of those too, around 1k excl fitting - i'd prefer that to a new boiler any day. Does anyone have any experience of those?

Thanks
Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back