external gas meter enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've had a letter through today from Nat Grid, saying that they have to do an "essential" replacement of my (external wall-mounted) gas meter, but won't do it as there isn't a weatherproof enclosure around the existing one. There hasn't been ever since I've lived here, only a Heath Robinson construction that looks like it's made of decking offcuts, hanging on two screws :eek:

They've told me that it is my responsibility to provide a weatherproof enclosure. I asked them whether the meter replacement would be "essential" if I refused to pay for the enclosure - they said "no".

Is it my responsibility? Shouldn't the old meter have had one installed anyway? What does it matter if the meter's old?

IF I do have to buy an enclosure, are they all one standard size, and are there any rules or regulations for how they must be fitted? I'd be pretty fed up if the engineer refused to fit the new meter "because the cupboard had the wrong sort of screws / was too close to the ground / the door opened the wrong way, etc, etc) :mad:

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong her so feel free to berate me!! (bent over and lubed up ready)!!

I seem to recall something from way way way back on training that something was mentioned that meters should be replaced after 15 years due to their calibration/life span?

Not sure why but this thread made me think of that? Does my memory serve me correct or am i going senile?

With regards to the box if all pipework is external then it should be easily fitted but you need to ensure that the mains in is sealed and secured with gas suppliers appproved fitting as that is their responsibilty and that any pipework after the meter is sealed with a non setting compound.

If the box is inset then you could have problems as the pipework may exit through the rear and would have to be broken into to replace the entire box.

Any chance of some pics? They are worth a thousand words!!

Jonathan

If your existing Customer Owned box is weatherproof it can be changed.
A new surface mounted box (plumbers merchant) approx £30
Is your meter corroding etc etc
Meters are changed at 15 - 20 years unless batt operated - 10 years for several reasons:-

Corrosion
Calibration
New sevices laid
Regulator corroded/ failing
etc

Sponsored Links
sorry to have taken so long with the piccie - a sad reflection on my life of diy slackness, I'm afraid!

The meter appears to be held in place only by the pipework, with a loose piece of lead flashing beneath the meter. The meter is only a couple of inches above the ground.

I have no idea where the old enclosure got to - never been one in the four years that I've lived here.

Thanks in advance.[/img]

I would just leave the meter the way it is let national grid worry about it. Hopefully the service pipe will rot away, so they will run you a new service in plastic then fit you a nice new box

judging by the screw holes in the wall it looks like there was one originally,

they are available from BES as well if you want one
the other items you should have are:

mounting bracket (may come as part of box)
2x washers and shear screws
10 or 16mm earth bonding (depending on length of cable)

I'd be tempted to make my own.
A few recycled bricks, a wooden door & felted roof. :D

Then call them back to change it.

Have already bought a GRP meter box - what are the "rules" to fitting it? (Floor clearance / sealing in pipework / etc, etc)?

Thanks for the replies so far :)

IMO the pipe work needs extending to accomodate the backplate of the meterbox.Looks like it needs to move up about 300mm.
Fairly simple to do - just get an RGI with MET1 as an element if you want to be totally legal.

So what are the rules/regs on these?

Which particular act of parliament are you referring to and where can these be found?

GSIUR regs come to mind

"you must be competent to undertake the work"

therefore MET1 (meters) is the correct module needed to fit the meter into the housing and repipe the outlet as the meter is currently fitted wrong side of Emergency Control Valve, the outlet pipe will need extending to get it on right hand side of meter (correct side for it)

the outlet pipe will need extending to get it on right hand side of meter (correct side for it)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Please tell me you`re not Gas Safe Registered. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back