External lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I apologise in advance if this seems like a noddy question.

I have a sealed junction box outside the house that an electrician installed for an outside light and decking lights. Inside the box it has a standard box type connector ready to be connected to. It is fused at 5A.

I have a couple of 50W external lights i need to connect up (in parallel i assume). The lights will only be a couple of meters away from the junction box.

The lights I have bought have 1 meter of flex each.

Do I need to use conduit to connect them to the box or can i just use a waterproof connector to connect them to another piece of flex and use a compression gland to pass the flex through the junction box?

Cheers!
Dan

Sponsored Links
I am sure some one will get out their crystal ball for you. Cable is protected according to the environment and if the is a likely hood of impact then you may need conduit. In the same way as if exposed to sun plastic coating should be black. This is why in some areas of the UK it has been made illegal to work on domestic buildings electrical systems without informing building control.

Whoever is signing paperwork should have the skill required or they should not be authorising the work. And really it is that people you should be asking.

I'd say take SWA or conduit from the existing JB to a new weatherproof JB closer to where you wish to locate the lights, so that the length of unprotected flex from the fittings in minimised. But, as eric points out, we haven't seen the job so it's difficult to comment any further.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back