External Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I want to get some external wall lights fixed up to cover my patio area. As I do bit of computer programming for a hobby, I want the lights be connected up to a velbus home automation module so I can control them automatically (or not, or whatever I want). I just have a couple of questions before I get the ball rolling.

I want the lights to be positioned either side of a set of french doors, about 2 metres up from ground level. This means if the cable is passed through the wall directly behind the fixture it will be below the first floor void. If the cable is passed through like this, can it be chased into the plaster up to the first floor void. Or, does it have to run exposed outside so that it can go straight into the void.

The velbus system uses a data bus to connect up any input modules for switches. Am I ok doing this side myself, just leaving the mains side up to an electrician. Also, can anybody recommend a source of pushbutton/momentary switches on UK sized faceplates.

Thanks,
Ben

Sponsored Links
Perhaps a picture will help explain it a bit better. Ideally I wanted to hide the cable which would be going up into the void. I was wondering if it is allowed to be sunk into the plaster inside. Looking at the link it appears this wouldn't be acceptable.

The way you want to do it (which is understandable, hides the wires etc) would mean live wiring hidden in the wall with no obvious indicator it was there. And given where you want to put it, I reckon there's a good chance of someone, someday wanting to drill a hole there for a curtain rail or similar. As Prenticeboy said you could mechanically protect it, ie chase in deep enough to accommodate a 20mm steel conduit for the wiring - this would then deflect a stray drill bit.

When you ask for push-button/momentary switches, do you mean like the vacuum or (more modern) electronic switches used in, for instance, communal areas of flats?

PJ

Sponsored Links
If the cable only drops from the ceiling void within the permitted distance of 150mm it would be acceptable, the cable could be buried to a depth of 50mm or more, providing that the chase is not deeper than one third of the width of brick/block work, run in steel conduit or the cable have integral mechanical protection, such as SWA or MIMs.

Could you put the lights a bit higher up?

t299833.jpg

OK, looks like I will have to get lights that look good above the doors. I don't want to put deep chases in and I hadn't even thought about curtains.

PJ: the push buttons only need to make a circuit - all the dimming or timer control is configured on the velbus module, see here: http://www.velbus.eu/products/view/?id=383056

bas: I came to that same conclusion just as you posted

Ben

The lights are for me. I was just asking before I went and bought anything. I didn't want the cables to be seen because it would look better. I don't like cables running across the brickwork, a purely selfish reason :)

Perhaps a picture will help explain it a bit better. Ideally I wanted to hide the cable which would be going up into the void. I was wondering if it is allowed to be sunk into the plaster inside. Looking at the link it appears this wouldn't be acceptable.

Looking at the shaded area on the first diagram of the link, it appears to me that you can run cables on the reverse side of a wall in a cable zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back