External Painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am about to paint a half rendered modern house. The ground floor is red brick and the first floor is smooth modern render - approx 15 years old.

First, the render is sound and is good condition, currently an off white colour. It shows small signs of light balck spot mould in places. Would you need to clear this first if its not too bad anyway ? If so would i use a fungicidlal wash ? Never used it so could i put it in a spray bottle ? Brush it on ? Will it need washing off ?

Also, there are some light cracks in the render around the windows, not very deep but perhaps 4 ft long. What can i use to fill these cracks ?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Sponsored Links
I would fill the cracks with bonding and try to keep them smooth. But before I did that I would throw a thin coat of any matt over the cracked areas just to allow the bonding filler to take better. Then, once that's dry, I would mix up some Dulux Weathershield, or equivalent external Matt, with Owatrol or mouldshield, put a solid coat of than on. When that is dry I'd give it a full coat of the weathershield.

Many thanks for the advice.

Would it be cheaper/easier to paint on a standard antifungacide rather than mixing a weathershield base coat ?

Thanks

Gary

Not 100% sure about the mouldshield. I used owatrol when I was painting. It is supposed to be mixed into the paint and thinned a little with water as far as I remember. But it couldn't hurt to put the unmixed owatrol onto the mould stains directly before adding the mix over the widespreads.

Sponsored Links
Hiya.

I would definitely pay some attention to the mould spots before you paint.

Quite often mould, when painted over, will eventually come back. Mould is often a sign of the wall retaining some moisture, after all, mould and algae are organic matter and need moisture to grow.

(I wouldnt like to think you spend time painting, only for the mould to re appear in the winter time!).

I would use a good fungicide wash on the house, and rinse off if the product says you have to do that, then allow to dry and THEN paint!

Good luck though . :)

Hiya.

I would definitely pay some attention to the mould spots before you paint.

Quite often mould, when painted over, will eventually come back. Mould is often a sign of the wall retaining some moisture, after all, mould and algae are organic matter and need moisture to grow.

(I wouldnt like to think you spend time painting, only for the mould to re appear in the winter time!).

I would use a good fungicide wash on the house, and rinse off if the product says you have to do that, then allow to dry and THEN paint!

Good luck though . :)

Thanks for the reply

Having never used the fungicidle wash, do i literally paint the whole of the house or just the affected areas ? Can i roller it on ? Seems it could take an age !

Thanks

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back