External pipe for new boiler

Right for normal pipework completely wrong when coming from a meter box with the spigot i should have added

Sponsored Links
Corgi inspectors seem to like to feel they can make up their own little rules at the boundaries of what's written in the regs. :D
Better let them strut about a bit, eh? Give them enough rope...

namsag said:
Right for normal pipework completely wrong when coming from a meter box with the spigot i should have added

Yes I totally agree with you on this one ;)

ChrisR said:
Corgi inspectors seem to like to feel they can make up their own little rules at the boundaries of what's written in the regs. :D
Better let them strut about a bit, eh? Give them enough rope...

I agree with you also chris. I am sure that they are wrong in their personal interpretations sometimes as well, but for a quiet life it sometimes best to 'humour' them :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with you Chris just heading out for a pint with one of them now he is a bit like that

namsag said:
Maryos mind your own business you have not got a clue and from what has been said job has been done properly to standard

Paul Barker said:
All Ican say I'm glad I wasn't the professional who did this job faultlessly, but has to suffer all this ignorant questioning… OP here is insulting the installer.

What is the point of this board, if it is not to ask opinions of experts? I am visiting the board to try and learn from professionals. I don't expect to become expert myself, but I hope it will help me to be a better customer. Given the amount of discussion that has followed, it seems to have been a reasonable question.
By the way, I would expect most professionals to be quite used to 'ignorant questions' and able to deal with them politely! Surely a homeowner can expect this when employing a professional? Perhaps fortunately for this professional, he wasn't subject to too much in the way of ignorant questioning, thanks to the information received under this post.
I do not believe that my seeking information can be regarded as insulting to the installer. I would not wish to offend the installer, who I already described as "prompt, very pleasant, perfectly approachable." But I am very surprised that he chose to introduce a new, very unsightly pipe where there had been none before (the previous pipe was run beneath the floorboards, inside the property) without any advance warning to the owner. This is made worse by the fact that the property is listed and any work that in any way alters its appearance needs first to be cleared with local authority (I can't believe that they wouldn't clear it, on the basis of what I have read here, but it doesn't alter the fact that it would have been better to have it approved first).

You are generally right but there is often considerable heated discussion between people involved in this industry on forums so thats pretty normal. few issues are totally black and white and there is usually considerable scope for different interpretations and viewpoints.

I do have to admit that I am often somewhat suspicious of people who ask these questions apparently on behalf of friends. Whilst some may be genuinely on behalf of little old ladies to help them, there is often the implication thats its a know all do gooder like you usually get in a pub who likes to tell everyone how everything should be done.

Even the little old ladies are not always quite so harmless as we have heard yesterday when she was jailed for six months!

Tony

Was the installer made aware it was a listed building before work commenced?

maryos said:
namsag said:
Maryos mind your own business you have not got a clue and from what has been said job has been done properly to standard
Paul Barker said:
All Ican say I'm glad I wasn't the professional who did this job faultlessly, but has to suffer all this ignorant questioning… OP here is insulting the installer.
What is the point of this board, if it is not to ask opinions of experts?

See //www.diynot.com/, which says this:

forumvo2.jpg

Or did you think it said this:

Do you have an enquiring mind, an interfering nature,
a friend who's had some work done, and you want to
challenge the person who did it by appearing to be
knowledgable? Then come along, air your unqualified
opinion, and irritate the experts who give their time in
exchange for nothing other than the thanks that they
rarely receive.

:?:

I am visiting the board to try and learn from professionals.
Yeah, right.

This is just to express my thanks, once again, for all the reassuring responses that I received earlier in the thread. We've painted the pipe and it blends in better with the house so that hopefully it won't be such an obvious eyesore when the local authority inspector visits shortly. Also, to reassure anybody concerned on behalf of the professional who installed the pipe: I am sure that he had to suffer far less in the way of ignorant questioning than would otherwise have been the case, thanks to the contributions of posters on this board.

Many thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back