External Power Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hope somebody can offer some advice. I know doing this is part p and we do have a sparky comming to connect all up soon......I just want to make sure we have everything the sparky needs when he comes and ive done as much as possible (digging up etc)

Plan is just to put two external power sockets at the top end of garden around 20m away

I have already bought a Masterseal RCD protected external switched double socket, Ive also bought 4mm of cable (perhaps over doing things as im only going to be running garden equipment off these sockets, mower strimmer etc)

The main consumer unit is basically brand new having been rewired three years ago

The plan was to spur off a kictchen socket.......then take SWA cable outside then outside down the wall, under concrete patio.......(channel already dug out for the cable) then up and through the garden using SWA 4mm cable.....buried to a decent depth about 450mm (half already dug ready)

My question is really if the sparky does spur off from a socket in the kitchen.....will he strim the SWA cable back and put that directly into the socket???

OR the main reason im asking now

Do I need to buy something like http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemid=5532&rangeid=1031 (hope that is ok to post - MK junction box)

If that junction box was on the outside would the SWA cable terminate to that (glands used etc) and the other end of cable then going to the two switches at top of garden

Then connect to the socket in the house with just normal leccy cable from that junction box?

Hope that is ok to ask

Thanks for any info

Sponsored Links
Best thing to do would be to let the sparky supply their own materials. That way they're happy with the setup. If you want to save time you could lay some ducting in your trench with a drawstring through it.

When the spark comes they will decide what cable/accessories to use and can use your ducting to put in the cable. Give them a bell and make sure that they are happy for you to do the remedial work and that they know the cable route too as it will be them that has to sign of the design, installation and tresting fo the circuit.

Nothing worse than digging a big trench then finding out it needs to be elsewhere. :LOL:

I would only connect direct to the CU. Spurring off the socket is a horrible idea, and besides which, it's against the regs.

Sponsored Links
So spurring is a bad idea?

Would it be against regs?

The consumer unit is in a position that I really wouldnt like to get too from the outside....it would be very awkward

As weve had everything recently plastered that sounds awful to me too :)

nothing has been done yet really just the garden dug up a bit .........so no probs either way.....can leave to sparky to sort I suppose but was just wondering

So long as the SWA is fused down correctly using a fused connection unit for example then there is no problem spurring off the ringmain. The MK Masterseal RCD sockets are usually only 1 gang so it's not like you can pull more then 13A anyway. Last time i checked you were allowed to spur one socket off any socket on the ringmain. If you spur more then one socket off the same socket on the ringmain the cable has to be fused down.

The MK Masterseal RCD sockets are usually only 1 gang.
56231GRY.JPG

Thats the docuble socket one ive already bought

Ok so we also need a fused spur will go an buy one of em ready then...any particular rating thast recommended?

Ok so we also need a fused spur
No you don't - that's still only one socket.

But why are you buying things anyway? You do know that your electrician will be able to get them for a lot less than you are paying, don't you? And that by trying to second guess how he will want to do it (after all - he has to sign legal declarations of compliance) you risk buying the wrong items?

Just show him where you want the socket and ask him where you should dig the trench.

Ive only bought the masterseal socket and cable

Found a bargain on ebay for the MK sockets ....sparky would never get at that price

Ill wait for him to sort out I suppose........just wanted to understand a tad

Thanks anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back