External Sandex paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I recently bought this paint: http://www.sandtex.co.uk/products/sandtex-smooth-masonry-paint/

Im painting onto a window sill that is made of terracotta tile. I used this paint thinking it was the correct stuff, but now unsure.

It was painted on a dry sunny day with plenty of drying time and all seems nice and even to finish. It then rains the next day and leaves a patchy result as though the paint isn't waterproof (although it says it is on the tin). This has happened twice now to me as at first I thought it may need a second coat or rained to soon after application but it appears not to be the issue.

Attached is an example of the issue. The darker part is the the lesser exposed part of the sill near the window, the lighter part is the outside edge of the sill.

Does anyone have any ideas why this may be happening? View media item 76908

Sponsored Links
Noticed this before with an outdoor doorstep paint.

Never got to the bottom of it. Was patchy for a long time, then then it all broke up in a hail storm.

Threw the rest of the tin away after that.

However, your paint is best suited to walls, so maybe a tile paint or similar may be the answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back