external security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.need some advice.Ipurchased security light with pir sensor.installed it outside wall.Before fitting it i tested it with normal bulb,was working fine.for strange reason security light never worked.I bought another new light and fitted but this one does,nt work either.what could be wrong.i have fiddled with its setting dials as in instruction in complete darkness but notthing happens.

Sponsored Links
If you have a multimeter, you could test the outside cable to confirm that there is still power.

You could wire a length of cable into the security light and connect a plug at the other end with a max 5amp fuse in it.

Plug it into a socket and switch on to confirm that the light is going. You will need to adjust the buttons underneath the sensor to allow the light to switch on in full daylight saving you the hassle of working in the dark.

I would do this to make sure the light is working. You can then rule out if the light is at fault or the wiring outside.

PS- Make sure you have the halogen bulb correctly fitted into place as from my experience they can be a foo-ter at times.

Darkness said:
If you have a multimeter, you could test the outside cable to confirm that there is still power.

You could wire a length of cable into the security light and connect a plug at the other end with a max 5amp fuse in it.

Plug it into a socket and switch on to confirm that the light is going. You will need to adjust the buttons underneath the sensor to allow the light to switch on in full daylight saving you the hassle of working in the dark.

I would do this to make sure the light is working. You can then rule out if the light is at fault or the wiring outside.

PS- Make sure you have the halogen bulb correctly fitted into place as from my experience they can be a foo-ter at times.
Thank,s for exilent reply.I would try that tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back