External Water Heater- Overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For 16 years at home (since new) we have used the oil fired heating system to heat the house and the water. Although fitted to the copper cylinder we never used the external electrical heater ( can you call it an immersion?). I have now switched it on. Within a minute or two the copper cylinder in which the heater is located is absolutely roasting and then banging begins. so I switch it off The hot water does not rise up the copper pipe to the cylinder. Does this suggest an air lock. I notice that the said 15 mm copper pipe does not go directly to the top of the cylinder but is offset slightly (3") to join up with a horizontal pipe coming out of the cylinder that feeds the hot water from the cylinder to the hot pipes. Is this offset sufficient to prevent circulation of water from the external heater. To make matters worse the PRO that fitted this system failed to fit a drain plug to the cylinder.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back