Extra sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rewires going well, sparki's very professional & very hard working. So well he's even coming round tomorrow to move a socket for me even though he's done the first fix. He recommends having a few more sockets in the lounge & dining rm. How many is the norm nowadays? Also how much extra should I expect to pay for each additional one?
Also Im having the walls skimmed, but is it up to the sparki or the plasterer to do the bonding for the chasers? Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
Either can do the bonding, you will have to talk to both.

The plasterer may appreciate it done before he arrives to do the skimming.

Three doubles in a reception room is the minimum usually, though four may be better.

Depends on the size and shape of the room.

You should have one in each corner, though not necessarily in places like near the door where they could be useless, except for vacumning.

You will know where you need them or where you may need them.

Your electrician will advise. Put plenty in while you have the chance.

Also think about data, tv, telephone points etc. And 5 amp sockets controlled by the door for extra lighting. Now's the time to put it all in.

How many is the norm nowadays?
Whatever YOU want.
Also how much extra should I expect to pay for each additional one?
Depends on the work involved. Is it plasterboard, brick, granite, stone?
Also Im having the walls skimmed, but is it up to the sparki or the plasterer to do the bonding for the chasers? Cheers in advance.
Whatever you have agreed but I'm not sure the plasterer will be expecting that.

Ok cheers. Its plaster/brick. I did mention having a switch controlling a lamp, but he said its quite a bit of work involved. Could always ask him about it tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Also how much extra should I expect to pay for each additional one?

If you keep adding stuff in ones and twos then it will be very expensive for each socket as he'll have to make separate trips, get his tools out, chase in a box and some wires and then put all his stuff away again and drive home. He'll soon get fed up being messed around, I would!

It will be much cheaper per point if you take the time to sit down quietly, in each room, with some paper and a pen. Make a list for each room what it is you want and where. Your electrician can then do it all in one go.
Result: happy sparky and lower cost per point for you ;)

He did some extra ones outside of the quote whilst he was here last week, but he mentioned something along the lines of £40 per socket. Just sounds a bit steep considering he was already here!

It's surprising (to me) how many sockets you need these days if you want to avoid plug in extensions. Best work out in advance what appliances you're having where.

I'd definitely leave the bonding to the plasterer, he won't thank you for semi-dry cracked chases on a wall he just wants to pva and skim.

£40 for an extra socket, if he has all his tools out, is a fair price. Afterall the cable, back box and socket may cost up to £10......

I roughly charge £60 per new socket outlet, but this depends on many many variables.

Yes thats what my friend had, it all had to be dug out and redone. I know people that have extensions. Is this a cheaper option? Are the 'power surge' ones a good bet (their not cheap though)!

The power surge ones are to protect sensitive equipment that could be damaged by a power surge, like a computer. So it depends what's going to be plugged in there.

As for sockets or extensions, it again depends what's going to be plugged in there - there's a limit to what you can draw per point. I prefer plenty of sockets anyway.

Ah yes, probably a flat screen TV etc. But yes I agree sockets do look better and are probably safer. I was in a fire once, luckily escaped but not a good experience :eek:(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back