Extractor fan into this opening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Somthing I ballsed up on the kitchen, my designer gave no thought to an extractor over the cooker so now wondering what can I do?

This is what space I have:
IMG_6773.JPG

The chimney opening is to the far right
IMG_6771.JPG

And the external wall a meter to the left:
IMG_6772.JPG

I was thinking of putting shallow wall units to the left (over a fridge freezer) and maybe housing a fan in or on them and fitting a 90cm filter under the stone lintel.

Something like the bottom part of this:
IMG_6787.jpg

Sponsored Links
if you have wall units between the cooker and the external wall, you can run a duct on top of, or inside, the wall units. You could even have some dummy units, just to conceal the duct. IMO wall cabs look best running up to the ceiling.

Or did you mean you want to exhaust up the chimney? You'll need a duct, or condensation and grease will deposit in the flue.

The canopy or hood is preferably wider than the hob so that it can trap fumes spilling to the sides as they rise.

I am assuming that the chimneybreast is not on an external wall that you could vent through. That would be easy.

Last edited:
Assuming the rear of the opening is an outside wall, you could vent out immediately above the extractor, and then build a cover for outlet. If you put units over on the left wall, and then put flat trunking above it, it'll show above the cornice, but you can use a flexi connector to get to it, but that still comes back to needing a cover for the tubing. Do you have any tiles left to build a false cover at the back of the lintel coming down about 2 tiles worth.

The external wall is over to the left and I'd like to go through that.

The problem is physically fitting a fan into the space I have, there's only 140mm between the RSJ and stone lintel so no extractor that I can see will fit.

I've seen an extractor, minus the motor, that would fit under the chimney space. I wondered if I could use that and house a fan motor in a wall unit to the left, the alcove is 1.1mtrs and there is a 1000x455mm wall unit that will fit over the fridge freezer.

Sponsored Links
Do you have any tiles left to build a false cover at the back of the lintel coming down about 2 tiles worth.

I don't have any but we got them recently so can get more. Do you mean if I tiled just behind the lintel so I could fit an extractor behind the tiles?

Are you considering a hood that will go under the lintel and project out, over the hob?

Are you considering a hood that will go under the lintel and project out, over the hob?

Yes, I've seen some telescopic ones that would sit under the lintel and come down another 40/50mm. They have a big motor though that won't fit.

I would say you're trying to over complicate things putting a motor in a cupboard, but do you have electrics in the chimney breast. Fit the cupboards in the alcove, use flat channel ducting over the top of it, and then use a flexi connector to link up with any extractor you use. This type of extractor will fit in the chimney, and they can normally be lifted up in to place after the flexi tubing as connected to it. If you fit a panel in front of the S/S chimney on the extractor, you can tile over it, and hide all the pipework.

So build down to make more space, that makes sense and to the anyone glancing at the opening it might appear invisible.

Thanks

could you make your own concealed one? stand alone extractor fan with stand alone spot lights?

You could have it well hidden under that stone, and hide the RSJ also.

I was thinking of getting one like in the first post, fitting the flat bit and filters under the lintel and hosing the fan in the cupboard. I'm not sure that's possible.

There's a graded 90cm Zanussi on e-bay that's close to me, if I can get that cheap I can have a play.

The one in my house now goes straight through the wall and if I look in through the vent it's imaculately clean so the filters must do a good job of catching the grease.

One like you proposed would do it Ian, and then use an inline extractor fan in a cupboard - would get even better extraction power than with a normal one!

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLTD160.html These are powerful and very quiet

I have no idea if you could set different speeds on it using the controls on the hood. Also you may need to make some sort of metal / plastic top section inside the extractor, which the extraction hose would fit.

Probably a few hours work, but seems do-able.

That looks good!! It would actually fit between the stone and steel so would be a winner if I can find a scrap 900mm extractor with a decent filter bit.

There's a 600mm Smeg without motor for £40 on ebay but might look lost in the 900mm gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back