Extractor fan - not on a fuse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

I noticed when taking a look at the extractor fan in the loft (fan is sat in loft and has flexy tube to bathroom) that it is wired into the lighting ring main (it comes on when the light is turned on).

IS this correct?

I want to replace it with a new fan as it is prettu unpowerful - is there a maxmum wattage I can use for this wiring set up?

In fact I was going for this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/41379...e-Centrifugal-Chrome-White-35W-Shower-Fan-Kit

D

Sponsored Links
If it is supplied from the lighting circuit, then you will almost certainly find that the circuit is on a 5A fuse or a 6A MCB. Have a look.

Extractors use very little current so this is OK. I do not think you will find any domestic fan which uses more power than a couple of light bulbs, so fit whatever you like.

It is very sensible to have the bathroom extractor come on with the lights. Some people have a psychological aversion to ventilation and will not turn on a fan or open a window.

yes it has a 6A MCB (and all covered by an RCD).

thanks

D

Sponsored Links
There are so many rubbish fans, how far are you ducting it, if you want something a bit better with performance ensure its a centrifugal fan.

There are so many rubbish fans, how far are you ducting it, if you want something a bit better with performance ensure its a centrifugal fan.

The one he posted is a centrifugal so should be OK.

Axial fans ain't worth squit when flexiduct or bends come into play, still I keep finding them with yards of duct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back