extractor fan on lighting ring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of renewing my kitchen, and on removing the ceiling I noticed that the extractor fan was on the lighting ring.

Am I right in thinking that this isn't right, or is this actually ok?

The new extractor unit is 200 watts and the lights are 200 watts and its all run in 1.5 mm cable.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Its fine..Usually there may be some sort of isolation (fused connection unit)

1) It's not a ring.

2) If you are planning any electrical work as part of this renewal, are you aware of Part P?

Sorry,

The lighting circuit.

Yes I an aware of part p. I'm trying to sort out what I need to chase into the walls, then a sparky friend is going to wire it all up. So I want to get as much of the lumpy work out of the way before he comes.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) Check these to see if your cables will need extra protection, given where you will have them:

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/C5-43.pdf

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/concealedcables.pdf

IMO, cables running vertically down from the ceiling to sockets hidden below worktops should not be regarded as being in a zone where they need neither protection or to be buried more than 50mm deep, but that's my personal interpretation of the spirit of the regulations, not what they actually say. I think it makes sense - the idea is that if you see an accessory on the wall you should be alerted to the presence of a buried cable, but if you (or a future occupant) can't see the accessory.....

2) If no mechanical protection is needed, buy some oval PVC conduit, and make the chases large enough to be able to use that - makes life much simpler in the future if you ever need to get at the cables.

Ban I think you posted that in the wrong thread!

My question was is it ok for the extractor unit to be connected to the lighting circuit?

Thanks

You said you were chasing the walls for cables, therefore all those considerations apply...

But if its acceptable to run the extractor from the lighting circuit then I won't need to. The existing wiring and fan switch can be used.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back