extractor fan vent, gable end or vented tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am fitting an extractor fan in my bathroom and wish to vent it through the loft. I have an end of terrace house so I have a few options available to me.

I would prefer not to vent through the soffit board if I can avoid it so I would prefer either to vent through the brick gable end wall or install a vented tile with a 100-125mm flange on the back for the ducting.

All things being equal is one way better than the other?

Are tile vents reliably leak proof? I have no roofing felt (original 20's tiles) and rarely see any drips so I am confident the roof is fairly impenetrable to rain in its current state.

Installing the tile vent is probably beyond me but the cost of getting a roofer to install it probably isn't much different to the cost of hiring a core drill for the day anyway.

I prefer the idea of tile vent because in future I could revert it back by replacing a single tile, whereas the installation of a vent in the brick gable end wall would leave a permanent scar on the side of the house. But I am willing to be pursaided either way.

Many thanks for any help,

Nick

Sponsored Links
Why not vent it through the soffit? You could have a ceiling mounted fan with ducting going above the ceiling and coming out of the soffit. If you have it by the window, then you could clean it when its dirty.

Fitting it to the gable wall will need a large ladder (unless scaffold is up) and the hire of a core drill. Going through the roof will cost more due to hiring a roofer.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back