Extractor fan wiring to light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am wiring a timed extractor fan in my bathroom and want the fan to switch with the light. I am aware that I need a perm live, switched l and neutral to a three pole isolator switch then to fan. I am unable to access junction box where existing lighting circuit is. I can access the l, s/l and neutral from the switch as ceiling had to come down anyway.

My question is 1, can I add a junction box to take the L S/l And neutral to the isolator.

2, the fan shouldn't be earthed but should the earth be conected in isolator and continued to fan then just put in a connector block with earth sleeve at fan. Or ended at isolator and again at the fan.

Sorry if it's an obvious question or doesn't make sense!

Thanks in advance 😊

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply.

There is a two core wire going to the light fitting...which would have to be the s/l and neutral ..wouldnt it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks aragom. Is the rest of what I posted correct re adding a junction box?

Yes.....whoever wired the light has run those 2 then a single earth cable from bathroom light fitting to hallway light fitting.... hallway lighthas an earth coming from junction box.

Suppise I could change this for 2core and earth if I fit the extra jb?
The permanaent live cable from switch is a bit tight is there a way of adding a few inches of wire to make it easiee to fit jb?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back