Extractor fan with humidty control & timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I breed tropical fish in an 8 x 10 timber shed which is insulated.In the summer it gets far too hot & I have just bought the above fan to remove heat from the shed.
The instructions say that it has to be connected to a double pole fused spur switch.Is this necessary when it is not being connected to a light switch?I just want it to switch on & off automatically.I forgot to say that I would like to power from a 3pin plug with 3 amp fuse.

Sponsored Links
The instructions say that it has to be connected to a double pole fused spur switch.Is this necessary
No, as the plug will count as double pole (triple pole actually) when you pull it out.

You say you want it to work automatically. If you want the timer and/or humidistat to work you will not be able to have just a plug on it. This will not, of course, operate automatically when it gets too hot in the shed.

In my opinion you have wasted money on the humidistat part.
Your problem is heat, not humidity (the fish are quite happy in 100% humidity, its called water!).

Take the fan back and get a standard one. Then fit a room thermostat in the feed to the fan so the fan comes on when the temp gets too high.

Sorted. Will probably save you money too.

PS If you are stuck with that fan then wire the stat into the over-ride connections. If you aren't sure then ask and we can give you a connections guide. We'll need to know what make/model fan you have.

I think I will just get a bog standard extractor fan & try the room thermostat idea.I am going away 1st week in August & this is the reason for fitting the fan.I usually just open the door if I am at home.I might be back for more help if I have trouble wiring the thermostat in the cooling mode.
Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored Links
fit a room thermostat in the feed to the fan so the fan comes on when the temp gets too high.
Be careful what you buy - most thermostats are designed to control heating, so they come on when it's too cold and go off when it gets warm enough, which is the opposite of what you want.

Good point, BAS. Just make sure the stat you get has a change over contact, many do

- Google "room thermostat cooling" and you'll get a whole heap of suggestions. One of these maybe?

I have now got a Honeywell T6360 room thermostst which was described as able to be wired for cooling details below.Can anybody tell me which contacts to wire for cooling mode please.

The Honeywell T6360 Dial Setting Room Thermostat from Honeywell is a mains voltage Room Thermostat from Honeywell that is designed to give automatic temperature control of domestic wet central heating systems. The unit can be used to directly switch a circulating pump or boiler, or to operate spring return and motor open/motor close zone valves. The Honeywell T6360 Room Stat can switch electrical heating loads up to 10A, and can also be used for cooling applications.

- Dual diaphragm temperature sensing element
- Suitable for surface or switch box mounting
- Heat anticipator for close temperature control
- 10 to 30°C setpoint range
- Change-over contact switching (cooling loads)
- Double insulated

[[/b]

terminals 1 & 4 these close when temp rises to what ever you set dial to, thus bringing on your fan

I have now got a Honeywell T6360 room thermostst which was described as able to be wired for cooling details below.Can anybody tell me which contacts to wire for cooling mode please.
The installation instructions contain a wiring diagram which makes it clear which terminals to use....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back