EXTRACTOR FAN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a plain ceiling mounted extr fan in the b/room, seperate fom b/room light, but it wont work!!
I have a FSU on outside wall fed from lighting circuit via junct box..from FSU i've ran a 2 core to a plain pullcord, Brown to coms and blue to L1,, from there, brown to L and blue to N in fan where have i gone wrong?????

Sponsored Links
You have made sure you have connected correctly to a permanent live and neutral feed?

Why have you connected both poles (neutral and live) to a single pole switch?

That is most likely your problem.

Does the fuse blow when you pull the cord?

Without wishing to sound rude, you don't know enough about electrical installation to tackle this job safely.

Plus, you should be notifying this job.

Thats the problem, single pole switch as it does blow when cord is pulled..
As for not knowing enough, your right, but does anyone???
Job is part of on going building regs, i have done the 1st fix and the electrican has passed this so now in the process of connecting it all up, where he will come back for the final test ..
Changing to a double pole pullcord do the trick???? thnxs

Usually you would fit a double pole pull switch.

At the FCU outside the bathroom, have you connected to the feed or load side?
Is the FCU switched?
If the FCU can isolate your new wiring then you can use your single pole pull switch.
If the FCU will not isolate your new wiring then you should ideally use a double pole pull switch.

To connect your single pole pull switch;
Connect earth wires to earth terminal in base of pull switch. Use earth sleeving over bare earth wire.
Connect two blues (neutral) together in a separate insulated connector block (5 amp).
Connect one brown to one switch terminal.
Connect other brown to other switch terminal.

Sponsored Links
Try turning the light from where you took the fan supply before turning on the fan.
Peter

Thnxs for that, the FSU does isolate the p/cord and where ive gone wrong is not putting the Neutrals on to a insulated connector block because its only a single pole...Had it been a double pole then there would have been terminals for the L + N...

RCD protection is where all the RCD's are....on the consumer unit.
Fan is off he lighting circuit which will be connected to 6a mcb on the C/U

RCD protection is where all the RCD's are....on the consumer unit.

May not be. It would be perfectly acceptable to install an RCD/FCU at the bathrrom just to serve that room. The RCD/FCU could be fed from the lighting circuit, or from another circuit, a ring final maybe.

As for not knowing enough, your right, but does anyone???
Oddly enough, those who are competent to do something do know enough about how to do it.

Job is part of on going building regs, i have done the 1st fix and the electrican has passed this so now in the process of connecting it all up, where he will come back for the final test ..
When he agreed to that did he realise that you don't know the difference between live and neutral, and how a simple switch works, etc?

May not be. It would be perfectly acceptable to install an RCD/FCU at the bathrrom just to serve that room. The RCD/FCU could be fed from the lighting circuit, or from another circuit, a ring final maybe.
701.411.3.3 says "....all circuits of the location...." not "....all circuits in the location....".

"As for not knowing enough, your right, but does anyone"???, This was not a dig at electricans or their trade it was meant in general terms.
I take it ur a qualified lecky and you know ur job, but can you repair TVs, Computers, Radars or Auto Pilots, all things that have an electrical basis?
The electrican that is doing the testing was supplied by Building control so he doesnt agree to anything, he gets told by them what he has to do...
I was under the impression that this forum was for people to get help with things electrical, and most people who reply to questions are helpful, but there are some that just criticize...I dont know why they bother to reply if its
unhelpful, must make them feel good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back