Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My husband has removed an extractor fan with built in humidifier. The new one is exactly the same just a different model. The wiring we have is black, grey and brown. On the new model we have they have neutral, switched live and permanent live. We have tried wiring it up but the fan is not working, what have we done wrong please. Obviously a wire in the wrong place I think.

Sponsored Links
The wiring we have is black, grey and brown. On the new model we have they have neutral, switched live and permanent live.
How have you wired it?

Have you a fused connector for it on the wall somewhere?

Has the fuse/circuit breaker tripped?

Have you any means of testing the wires to see which is live?

Probably as you say, it is not wired correctly.
The black and grey ought to have sleeves on them to identify what they are i.e. brown for live and blue for neutral.
The easiest way forward is to identify what wire does what with a multimeter set to 240v> AC. (Place then in terminal block first before powering on so you don't have readily accessible live copper.)
Then it is a case of black lead to earth, red lead to each in turn noting the readings. Then operate the switch and do the same again.
From this you ought to be able figure out what wire does what.
If you are not competent in using a multimeter then you need to find someone who is i.e. an electrician.

Ah!

Did the old fan have a timer?

And did it come on with the light or did it just rely on the humidistat?

Sponsored Links
The wiring we have is black, grey and brown. On the new model we have they have neutral, switched live and permanent live.
How have you wired it?

We have put black to neutral, Grey to Live Switched and Grey to Permanent Live.

How have you wired it?

We do not have any means of testing the wires and no nothing tripped at all.

You may find grey is neutral (as I tend to do).
Black live
Brown switch live

If that doesn't work properly swop black and brown over.

Once you have ID'd them, sleeve the neutral blue and the other live brown.

Black live
Brown switch live

If that doesn't work properly swop black and brown over.

Will we be ok leaving it how we have wired it up until the morning now as we will be in the dark trying to change it.

Ah!

Did the old fan have a timer?

And did it come on with the light or did it just rely on the humidistat?

Yes it did have a timer and came on when we switched the light on. It carried on when the light was switched off until it timed out or humidity was ok.

If you have a fan isolator switch if off and leave it till daylight.

If you have a fan isolator switch if off and leave it till daylight.

The reason we put black in the neutral was because there was a black feeding into it the other side from the fan. So what you are saying is ignore that and try grey.

You mean the internal wiring inside the fan?
If so then yes, it is worth trying grey as neutral then the two lives as black and brown.

How have you wired it?

Sorry I meant black to neutral, grey to live switched and brown to permanent live.

You mean the internal wiring inside the fan?
If so then yes, it is worth trying grey as neutral then the two lives as black and brown.

Thank you will try that tomorrow. We do have an isolator switch outside the bathroom will turn that off tonight.

Black live
Brown switch live
That's very illogical.

I know grey is used as neutral (to disassociate black as neutral)

However, surely Brown should be live - because it is

and therefore Black should be switched live (as it frequently is with old colours).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back